Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Text or Text Object Orientation to Layout Problems

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text or Text Object Orientation to Layout Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    I have found it less troublesome to place the annotation of a model into its' own sheet for plotting purposes.

The reason for this is I may need to show that model information in more than one location in a different scale factor. This same model information may not be the focus of the new drawing or even a different view on the same sheet. If I place the annotation with the model and then xref both into a sheet for plotting, I then need to deal with that annotation again if it is not needed for a second sheet or the secondary viewport. If the secondary viewport is at a different scale, I will have to deal with that aspect as well.

I know, we now have the ability to have annotative objects which accommodates for these different scales. That causes yet another issue to deal with. That just sounds like a lot more trouble than it is worth.

By placing my annotation in the sheet it is intended, I reduce some of the headache of dealing with XREF annotation from a model drawing.
    emphasis mine..

That is my preferred approach. Its' not often that I want/need the same annotation showing up in the same place on different sheets. And annotative text in a nested xref seems to always end up in the wrong location on one of the sheets I need to plot.

And incorporating xrefs from another firm/discipline exacerbates the coordination issues. Almost never are the survey notes/labels relevant to my civil design sheets. 99.5% of the time they are just in the way and are one more thing to work around/freeze/handle. especially north arrows and bar scales. for pete's sake =- put them in paperspace!!

Old school drafting says that any given dimension should only appear once and never be repeated in a drawing set. It's not a bad rule....
    Real pirates wear silk suits & ties, and write EULAs
    The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government, is big business.

Toward a Sustainable Water Future: Visions for 2050 http://ascelibrary.org/doi/book/10.1061/9780784412077

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Old school drafting says that any given dimension should only appear once and never be repeated in a drawing set. It's not a bad rule....
    And, if a dimension is needed more than once, all but one (the most usefull one) should labelled "xxx REF."
    John B

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps I did not clearly express what I do, or I did, and am just not understanding y'all... Not wanting to argue, just make sure that I was clear.

I have a model drawing (my XREF), which is comprised of non-annotation entities, and referenced as an overlay into my sheet drawing, where both the XREF and annotations are placed in Model tab (within the sheet drawing)... This allows me to reference the annotations from any sheet(s) into any other drawing, or even the same XREF model drawing, when making design changes, to know exactly what is adjacent my current area of operation, and all without bringing along a duplicate XREF, or circular reference.

What I do not do, is place an entire projects worth of annotations in the same drawing, and reference that into each sheet, as is common among Microstation projects.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3620, Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 Pro M.2, 8GB NVIDIA Quadro P4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Perhaps I did not clearly express what I do, or I did, and am just not understanding y'all... Not wanting to argue, just make sure that I was clear.
    I'm still confused.

As AutoCAD was designed, there is more than one way to do almost anything with it.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post

I have a model drawing (my XREF), which is comprised of non-annotation entities, and referenced as an overlay into my sheet drawing, where both the XREF and annotations are placed in Model tab (within the sheet drawing)... This allows me to reference the annotations from any sheet(s) into any other drawing, or even the same XREF model drawing, when making design changes, to know exactly what is adjacent my current area of operation, and all without bringing along a duplicate XREF, or circular reference.

What I do not do, is place an entire projects worth of annotations in the same drawing, and reference that into each sheet, as is common among Microstation projects.
    That makes sense to me.
    Sheet contains views of model space which contains annotations and an xref of the geometry.
    You can choose to xref the same geometry into other drawings and/or xref the annotations + the geometry into other drawings.
    John B

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    That makes sense to me.
    Sheet contains views of model space which contains annotations and an xref of the geometry.
    You can choose to xref the same geometry into other drawings and/or xref the annotations + the geometry into other drawings.
    Cheers dude.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3620, Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 Pro M.2, 8GB NVIDIA Quadro P4000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12