Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text or Text Object Orientation to Layout Problems

Login to Give a bone

Default Text or Text Object Orientation to Layout Problems

Hello all,

I am running into a problem with text objects that need to be oriented to a layout. I have multiple layouts along an alignment. Text obviously needs to be rotated to match the layout orientation. Any thoughts? I am running out of patience with this one!

Todd Hutcherson
    Frankfort, Kentucky

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text or Text Object Orientation to Layout Problems

Your mention of an alignment suggests you are using a vertical application. In Civil 3D, the annotation styles have options to rotate based on the view.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Your mention of an alignment suggests you are using a vertical application. In Civil 3D, the annotation styles have options to rotate based on the view.
    Correct, but that is only a fraction of the labels we need to add into our C3D plans (mostly MLeader, etc.)... For this, I use a LISP routine which streamline's DVIEW twist by two point specification, and pair that with a Command reactor to account for UCS == World + View twist for adding Dimensions, MLeaders, Rectangles, etc.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I previously used the DVIEW twist process, automated of course. However, I choose to add MLeaders and other annotation in paper space of the sheet drawing.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

For our work, if a sheet contains data in Model tab, it is labeled in Model, which allows for that data to be referenced, whereas if split (as you describe) that cannot be done... To each their own.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

YMMV, but annotation/=data

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    YMMV, but annotation/=data
    No worries; I prefer clarity to agreement.

So I might better understand, could you provide an example of annotation that does not contain data?

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

well, its' more or less the difference between 'data', and 'metadata'.

As a highly simplistic example, consider a line and a linear dimension object for that line. The data is the line, it's endpoint coordinates, the layer it's on, its elevation/direction/lineweight. The dimension is metadata - that is to say the data about the data - in this instance the length of the line. Done properly, the dimension will accurately reflect the data of the line's length. but the dimension is _derived_ from the end point coordinates of the line, and one does not need the dimension to know how long the line is. One can forcibly over-ride the dimension to incorrectly describe the line's length, but it's not possible to force the line to have a different length without actually changing the length of the line.

Using C3D points as an example, the Point object contains the data, the point label is the metadata. Whether the label is displayed or not, the data is part of the point object. Same with pipe labels -- the labels describe the data that's part of the pipe object.

back in the days when i was the evil overlord, and the start of paper space as an organizational tool, we broke it down into "Building Information" and "Drawing Information". the former was the model linework in model space the delineated the objects to be constructed, and the latter was everything else about that model, and generally went into paperspace. both were needed to build the plant, but there was not a need to Xref the paperspace information. the location of wall, channels, sumps, etc on the other hand - did need to be xref-ed between disciplines and was considered 'Building information'.

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the example; regardless of the valid distinction you point out between line work so-to-speak, and its derived labels, it's the ability to take in this information (all of it) that lends to quicker decision making in the referencing drawing (based on the referenced information)... So if I attach XREFs to my sheet drawing, and label it in Model, in another design model I can reference all labels without duplicate line work XREFs, if that makes sense.

While Civil 3D introduces the seemingly unique ability to DREF, which I find it actually more cumbersome than simply XREFing as overlay (since most C3D Commands still work, like ADDALIGNOFFXYLBL, etc.), given that the referencing drawing requires the desired Styles in order for the DREF Objects to display properly (which increases file size), and introduces the risk of not detaching said DREF prior to Save, which allows for duplicate AECC* Objects being evaluated in any drawings that references 'this' drawing.

As an aside, perhaps I should request that DREF be expanded to allow for attachment, or overlay types, as XREF does?

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    I appreciate the example; regardless of the valid distinction you point out between line work so-to-speak, and its derived labels, it's the ability to take in this information (all of it) that lends to quicker decision making in the referencing drawing (based on the referenced information)... So if I attach XREFs to my sheet drawing, and label it in Model, in another design model I can reference all labels without duplicate line work XREFs, if that makes sense.

While Civil 3D introduces the seemingly unique ability to DREF, which I find it actually more cumbersome than simply XREFing as overlay (since most C3D Commands still work, like ADDALIGNOFFXYLBL, etc.), given that the referencing drawing requires the desired Styles in order for the DREF Objects to display properly (which increases file size), and introduces the risk of not detaching said DREF prior to Save, which allows for duplicate AECC* Objects being evaluated in any drawings that references 'this' drawing.

As an aside, perhaps I should request that DREF be expanded to allow for attachment, or overlay types, as XREF does?

Cheers
    I have found it less troublesome to place the annotation of a model into its' own sheet for plotting purposes.

The reason for this is I may need to show that model information in more than one location in a different scale factor. This same model information may not be the focus of the new drawing or even a different view on the same sheet. If I place the annotation with the model and then xref both into a sheet for plotting, I then need to deal with that annotation again if it is not needed for a second sheet or the secondary viewport. If the secondary viewport is at a different scale, I will have to deal with that aspect as well.

I know, we now have the ability to have annotative objects which accommodates for these different scales. That causes yet another issue to deal with. That just sounds like a lot more trouble than it is worth.

By placing my annotation in the sheet it is intended, I reduce some of the headache of dealing with XREF annotation from a model drawing.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast