Thread: Room Bounding On - Cannot place rooms

Login to Give a bone

Default Room Bounding On - Cannot place rooms

We are an interiors group using the architects model as our backgrounds. Currently we have linked in their two separate core and shell models. I have both set to room bounding. Whenever I go to place a room - so that we can generate our own room finish schedule - no boundaries are picked up. I thought this might be because the core and shell do not read as one bounding entity - however even the rooms that are bound on all four sides in the core model...I cannot place rooms in.

If a linked model is room bounding - as I understand it - when i hover over a room in the linked model to place a room of my own - it should read the room boundaries and name/number so that my room matches the linked room.

Any thoughts are appreciated. (Using Revit 2013)

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Room Bounding On - Cannot place rooms

Have you created your own levels that match theirs? You need a corresponding level in your model for each of theirs. You can also use Copy/Monitor to generate your own levels based on theirs. The monitor part will have Revit watch theirs for changes.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

One reason I run into a lot is phasing- usually, the host and link have different phases in them and are not mapped properly. In the host, select the link > Edit Type > Phase Mapping. Verify that the phases match.

Also, the Phase Mapping can be correct, but the host view is not the same phase as the linked rooms.

All AUGI, all the time davidcobi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jennah105988 View Post
    We are an interiors group using the architects model as our backgrounds. Currently we have linked in their two separate core and shell models. I have both set to room bounding. Whenever I go to place a room - so that we can generate our own room finish schedule - no boundaries are picked up. I thought this might be because the core and shell do not read as one bounding entity - however even the rooms that are bound on all four sides in the core model...I cannot place rooms in.)
    Maybe check the computation height of the level hosting the room.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jennah105988 View Post
    If a linked model is room bounding - as I understand it - when i hover over a room in the linked model to place a room of my own - it should read the room boundaries and name/number so that my room matches the linked room.
    Jennah,

You're partially correct. When you place a room being bound by a linked model, it should understand the bounding objects (Walls, Room Boundary Lines). But, it will not pick up the room name & number from the linked model's room information. You're probably thinking of "Spaces", which are not available in 2013, unless you're working in Revit MEP. Or, someone copied a space into your model, and you Created Similar (CS), atop of the linked file's rooms. I would select a room bounding object from the Linked file to see if "Room Bounding" is set in its instance properties. Hover over an object and hit the 'Tab' button to cycle through selectable objects. Please post any results back on the forum, so that others may benefit from your experience.

As Steve recommended, Check to make sure you're levels are matched up to the linked file.

We don't get into Phasing to much at my firm, so I can't confirm Peter's suggestion.

David, if you could expand your comment a little further, that would be something to check into as well.

Best of luck,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Jeff,

As Steve mentioned the levels were the issue. I had copy/monitored the core model levels - but had not copied the shell model. Now that I have them both copied the interior rooms are now showing as bound. Unfortunately the rooms on the perimeter are not reading as bound - but like I mentioned before - this could be that since the core and shell are separate models, they do not read as one bounding entity. I can use room separation lines for these rooms as necessary.

Thanks!