Thread: Navisworks for Collaboration (Advanced)

Login to Give a bone

Default Navisworks for Collaboration (Advanced)

I've been using Navisworks for a couple of years now. However, at my company we've always had one person on a project at a time. Recently, I joined in on a project doing some 3D coordination. I've noticed that both myself and another user can open the same NWF at the same time, with no "Read Only" option like you would normally get for a DWG file, or any other file from MS Office.

With that being said, can anyone explain how Navisworks is supporting multiple users to open the same file simultaneously? What happens if I merge a file in, and save? Or someone else creates a new clash test, item overrides, etc. I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks,
    Shawn

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Navisworks for Collaboration (Advanced)

Quote Originally Posted by sbrennan View Post
    I've been using Navisworks for a couple of years now. However, at my company we've always had one person on a project at a time. Recently, I joined in on a project doing some 3D coordination. I've noticed that both myself and another user can open the same NWF at the same time, with no "Read Only" option like you would normally get for a DWG file, or any other file from MS Office.

With that being said, can anyone explain how Navisworks is supporting multiple users to open the same file simultaneously? What happens if I merge a file in, and save? Or someone else creates a new clash test, item overrides, etc. I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    There's the main reason I don't partner with anyone else on a project. If they need a file added, they can ask me to do it. The .nwf is my responsibility, no one else touches it. I'll have a HBAB backup that is allowed access but, that's it.

From what I recall, if you append a file and save to .nwf, and then the other user saves to the same.nwf, it will overwrite your .nwf with the appended file.

Try it out and see what happens.. Just use some text.nwf file that won't have any affect on your actual project.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!