Thread: Please combine architectural & engineering units in distance inquiry...

Wish List Administration

Default Please combine architectural & engineering units in distance inquiry...

Summary: This has plagued me for years! I find myself switching back and forth daily between architectural & decimal units daily when these could easily be combined when performing a distance inquiry.

Description: Our firm works mainly in Architectural Units (feet-inches) but to create precise and accurate 2D geometry and 3D models it is important to get a more precise measurement to achieve this goal. Presently I must go to the UNITS command and manually change from architectural to decimal units (usually 4 decimal places), perform the distance inquiry then manually switch back to architectural units. Why? Because architectural units rounds to the nearest 1/8th, 1/16th or whatever you have your units set to. This does not provide for absolute accuracy. Plus, when you set your units to decimal it will not allow for the input of architectural units.

I find myself switching back and forth dozens upon dozens of times daily. There should be a setting to allow both to be displayed when checking distance while remaining in the architectural units setting. This should be a simple thing to do!

Chuck Altmix
    Engineering Designer
    Upper Consulting, Inc.
    upperconsulting.com

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - 3D

Submitted By: Chuck Altmix on 11/18/2013

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Please combine architectural & engineering units in distance inquiry...

Please Combine Architectural & Engineering (Decimal) Units in Distance Inquiry...

Summary: This has plagued me for years! I find myself constantly switching back and forth between architectural & decimal units daily when this information could easily be combined when performing a distance inquiry.

Description: Our firm works mainly in Architectural Units (feet-inches) but to create precise and accurate 2D geometry and 3D models it is important to get a more precise measurement to achieve this goal. Presently I must go to the UNITS command and manually change from architectural to decimal units (usually 4 decimal places), perform the distance inquiry then manually switch back to architectural units. Why? Because architectural units rounds to the nearest 1/8th, 1/16th or whatever you have your units set to. This does not provide for absolute accuracy. Plus, when you set your units to decimal it will not allow for the input of architectural units.

I find myself switching back and forth dozens of times every day. There should be a setting to allow both to be displayed when checking distance while remaining in the architectural units setting. This should be a simple thing to do!

Chuck Altmix
    Engineering Designer
    Upper Consulting, Inc.
    upperconsulting.com

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - 3D

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Please combine architectural & engineering units in distance inquiry...

Please Combine Architectural & Engineering (Decimal) Units in Distance Inquiry...

Summary: This has plagued me for years! I find myself constantly switching back and forth between architectural & decimal units daily when this information could easily be combined when performing a distance inquiry.

I find myself switching back and forth dozens of times every day. There should be a setting to allow both to be displayed when checking distance while remaining in the architectural units setting. This should be a simple thing to do!

Chuck Altmix
    Engineering Designer
    Upper Consulting, Inc.
    upperconsulting.com

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Other

Wish List Administration

Chuck Altmix
    Engineering Designer
    Upper Consulting, Inc.
    upperconsulting.com

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Other

Default Re: Please combine architectural & engineering units in distance inquiry...

It sounds as if you are constructing geometry in decimal units (which units?) and dimensioning in architectural units.
    Have you tried creating a dimension style to give the result you want?
    Any combination is possible. The image shows lines drawn in decimal millimetres with both metric and architectural dimensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images