Thread: User Defined Keynotes, Keynote Legend, Keynotes by Sheet (QUESTIONS)

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation User Defined Keynotes, Keynote Legend, Keynotes by Sheet (QUESTIONS)

Hello, I'm setting up standard template for my office.

I've gotten to the area where I need to set up keynotes (and soon details). I've figure out how to create the custom keynotes in the notepad. I've read that I need to have "by sheet" selected so that when I put the legend on the sheet it will only show the keynotes on that sheet. In other words my keynote notepad can have all my keynotes I'm using on the entire project, and each sheet will only have a legend showing the keynotes used. When I did it without "by sheet" my keynote legend shows up fine with the text and number, but when I switch to "by sheet" some of my numbers disappear and the legend does not show anything at all. I've searched around and haven't found anything to help, I've attached a quick video to help my description.

SIDE QUESTION: does anyone know how to make a "lengthy text" parameter, like the revit project address?

Thanks,

PJ

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: User Defined Keynotes, Keynote Legend, Keynotes by Sheet (QUESTIONS)

By Sheet requires the view with keynotes to be on a sheet to receive a number. This allows keynote values visible on a sheet to be sequential, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. If a keynote tag is empty then that view has not been placed on a sheet yet in order to determine what number it should receive. This also means that a keynote for Gypsum Wall Board may be numbered "3" on one sheet and "15" on another, all depending on how many other elements have keynotes applied. This approach reduces the likelihood that a contractor will ask about "missing" keynote values.

By Keynote uses the number of the keynote based on your keynote file. This means a sheet can show keynote value like: 101, 204, 302, 601 etc. These aren't "sequential" in that there are gaps between numbers based on keynotes that exist but not used in any views on the sheet. This can result in questions from a contractor like: "Are keynotes 102-203 missing?"

It isn't possible to create a parameter that behaves like Project Address, it's the only one of its kind in Revit, built-in that way. Why? Because, like your parents used to tell you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: User Defined Keynotes, Keynote Legend, Keynotes by Sheet (QUESTIONS)

To add to what Steve stated also remember that have to filter the keynote schedule to "by Sheet" if you only want to see those keynotes on that appear on the sheet in the scheudule.
    To address the issue of "Are Keynotes missing", I'd tend to say I'd rather have every keynote a unique number so that the "gypsum wall board - 435" is always the same thing number (Ie 435). This reduces the confusion by the contractor when keynotes that might be very similar are being used. I'd always want my comp floor slab with X reinf to have the same keynote number. There's merits to both, but on larger projects its a lot easier to keep track of all your keynotes if they always have the same number IMHO. But to each their own.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    By Sheet requires the view with keynotes to be on a sheet to receive a number. This allows keynote values visible on a sheet to be sequential, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. If a keynote tag is empty then that view has not been placed on a sheet yet in order to determine what number it should receive. This also means that a keynote for Gypsum Wall Board may be numbered "3" on one sheet and "15" on another, all depending on how many other elements have keynotes applied. This approach reduces the likelihood that a contractor will ask about "missing" keynote values.

By Keynote uses the number of the keynote based on your keynote file. This means a sheet can show keynote value like: 101, 204, 302, 601 etc. These aren't "sequential" in that there are gaps between numbers based on keynotes that exist but not used in any views on the sheet. This can result in questions from a contractor like: "Are keynotes 102-203 missing?"

It isn't possible to create a parameter that behaves like Project Address, it's the only one of its kind in Revit, built-in that way. Why? Because, like your parents used to tell you.
    Thanks this worked great I'm going to go with BY SHEET so I can just compile all the keynotes we use, then just use whichever ones I need per job.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    To add to what Steve stated also remember that have to filter the keynote schedule to "by Sheet" if you only want to see those keynotes on that appear on the sheet in the scheudule.
    To address the issue of "Are Keynotes missing", I'd tend to say I'd rather have every keynote a unique number so that the "gypsum wall board - 435" is always the same thing number (Ie 435). This reduces the confusion by the contractor when keynotes that might be very similar are being used. I'd always want my comp floor slab with X reinf to have the same keynote number. There's merits to both, but on larger projects its a lot easier to keep track of all your keynotes if they always have the same number IMHO. But to each their own.
    Thanks for input, I finally found the "filter by sheet" on the schedule so now each sheet has a unique shedule