Thread: Wall with Wainscoting?

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall with Wainscoting?

I know what I want, but have no idea how to get there. I want to create a wall family that will calculate panel size based on wall dimensions, and it would be nice to have the height of the Wainscoting be a user-defined parameter (that wall it could become a paneled wall as well.)
    Any suggestions, tips or hints before I dive into it?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall with Wainscoting?

I don't have any specific experience with wainscoting, but since nobody else has answered, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I wouldn't make it a family. I think it would be better to use a wall sweep, either applied or integral to the wall type. The height then is controlled by a parameter of the profile and the panel size calculation can be done in a schedule with a Calculated Value. The advantages are that wall sweeps with miter at the corners automatically and you can schedule them easily.

If you really want it to be panel based, I would suggest a curtain wall type. You can have the spacing and panels type controlled, easy to schedule again, etc.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, that does make more sense. I keep forgetting Curtain Walls don't HAVE to be glass.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Corners might get tricky on curtain panels, where wall sweeps are easy. The second advantage of using curtain panels would be that if you were changing/deleting walls out, you have to redo the wall sweep. The curtain wall panels would remain with only slight changes needed to match the new locations of your walls, should the client change their minds.

Login to Give a bone

One problem I ran into with FRP in restrooms is that wall based components like grab bars and mirrors attach to the wall face not the sweep face. So thin elements like an escutcheon or the mirror can be flush or behind a sweep. so I use split regions, its crude but I get the elevation I want with the scheduling.