Thread: DWG Nested Inside Detail Comp. > Nested Inside Profile > Nested Inside Window

Login to Give a bone

Question DWG Nested Inside Detail Comp. > Nested Inside Profile > Nested Inside Window

Hello, all!

I've been searching this for a while. I have done all kinds of tests in order to reach my objective without success and that's why I am starting this thread.

I hope you guys may come up with a solution!

What I intend to accomplish:

- I have a 1:1 detail DWG.
    - I need to nest this DWG inside a Detail Component.
    - I need to nest this Detail Component inside a Profile Family.
    - I need to nest this Profile Family inside a Window family and use that profile as a sweep profile inside the very same Window Family.

What does not happen:

- When I load that Window Family inside a project I do NOT see the Detail Component (and, of course, neither the DWG).

Is it simply not possible within Revit? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Eduardo

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DWG Nested Inside Detail Comp. > Nested Inside Profile > Nested Inside Window

Hello Eduardo,

In my test, the DWG did not even appear in the Sweep's Profile. Why are you trying to use an imported DWG file instead of drawing the boudary lines for the Profile in Revit? You could even trace the lines from the import and then remove it.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: DWG Nested Inside Detail Comp. > Nested Inside Profile > Nested Inside Window

Hello!

The profile family should be the simplified geometry for the real element for Coarse and Medium representations at 1:100 or even 1:75 scales. For detailing at a 1:1 scale I need to use the DWG profile representation which is extremely complex containing all the real details needed. I cannot draw this 1:1 detail as a native element in Revit because it won't recognize "too small" elements.

Thanks for you fast reply.

Eduardo

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DWG Nested Inside Detail Comp. > Nested Inside Profile > Nested Inside Window

If the DWG file has components that are too small to be drawn in Revit, then Revit will probably not be able to create an Extrusion using those same lines as a reference. Have you successfully gotten Revit to use this DWG Profile within the Family??

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: DWG Nested Inside Detail Comp. > Nested Inside Profile > Nested Inside Window

Well, the reason why I am nesting a DWG is because Revit won’t recognize "too small" elements. This DWG detail representation is a very complex detail which will reduce Revit performance dramatically if I explode it, as I have already tried.

I am aware that a profile is a chain of connected lines. My profile complies with that rule. My profile is very simple, just for 3D, Coarse and Medium representations. When I reach a fine representation I need to show 1:1 details which are only possible with imported DWGs as Revit does not recognize "too small" elements.

Please, find attached to this post a very simplified version of what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Eduardo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

That is not going to work in a Sweep for several reasons:
    #1 - Revit cannot sweep a CAD import
    #2 - If the lines are too small to replicate with Revit's lines, then it won't able to form 3D geometry using those tiny lines either.
    #3 - this looks like an assembly detail, and there are a lot of extra lines (i.e. hatch) that Revit wouldn't know what to do with in a Sweep.

Why is there a need to create a sweep with such detail? Can you instead trace the outline of the assemply and use that in the sweep? You wouldn't be able see the internal workings of it in a 3D model, anyway. Can you explain what is your ultimate goal here?