Thread: Linked file cannot be loaded because it is loaded into another open document

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Linked file cannot be loaded because it is loaded into another open document

Can someone explain why this is an issue to Revit?

"Linked file cannot be loaded because it is loaded into another open document"

And is there any workaround other than spending my day opening and closing large files. Or having multiple instances of Revit running

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked file cannot be loaded because it is loaded into another open document

Are you working on all of these Project or just opening them for reference? In the case of the latter, I either make a copy of the file to open or I open it first using the 'Detach from Central' option.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked file cannot be loaded because it is loaded into another open document

If the link is an Overlay link, you can work in the same instance of Revit. Otherwise if it is an Attached link, having multiple instances of Revit is really the best option (in which case, Alt-Tab is a great shortcut to get good at using).

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Doesnt matter if its overlay or not. If a file is linked into another thats already open ad you try to open you will get that. Just get use to work with several revit sessions open.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    Doesnt matter if its overlay or not. If a file is linked into another thats already open ad you try to open you will get that. Just get use to work with several revit sessions open.
    I humbly disagree... as I write, I have two models open in one session of Revit. They are both linked into each other as overlay and it works just fine.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

By chance, did you open the linked model by creating a new local file? In that case, it does work. If the linked model is opened without Worksharing enabled or with 'Detach From Central', it reports that error/warning.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADastrophe View Post
    By chance, did you open the linked model by creating a new local file? In that case, it does work.
    Yes, yes, that is exactly what I do every time. All our models have Worksharing enabled, so that is the only logical option. I didn't realize this makes a difference, but it makes sense. Does it matter if it is overlay or attach, then? Or is just the fact that the models are all Workshare enabled?