Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automation/ program - Copy 'Special' parameter 'value' from Room property and paste in to door property

Login to Give a bone

Question Automation/ program - Copy 'Special' parameter 'value' from Room property and paste in to door property

Hello All
    I need a help in Revit Arch. 2012
    I have following task,
    We have marked rooms with tag. On plan, in the room tag shows Name, Number, Special Number .
    Each room has doors, in doors family already created shared parameter for ' Special Number '.
    Now task is that we have to copy Special Number from room tag / property and paste in to door property where the special number parameter.

I would like to reduce manual efforts in this, like just select room tag, so it will captured only special number and its saves in clipboard / windows memory, then user will pick up the door and its automatically paste special number in the property.

Note that Room & doors has same shared parameter

Is it possible to do in revit using VBA / macro / tool like Autocad - Autolisp.
    Please it will be a great gift for me on this xmas if you all help me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Automation/ program - Copy 'Special' parameter 'value' from Room property and paste in to door property

Have you tried embedded schedules? I.e. you can have a room schedule with an embedded door schedule. This would show the selected fields from the room, followed by the selected fields for each door in that room. That way you might not even need to duplicate the special field's value to each door.

If that doesn't work for you, then schedules are still the easiest way to fix this manually. Create a temporary door schedule. Add only the special field of the door. Then chose the From room and/or To Room drop-down at the bottom. Select the special field for the room (either from/to or both). Next go to the Grouping tab, group by the room's special field, ensure the Itemize every instance (bottom left) is turned off. Ok and now you will have a schedule showing doors tied to rooms - now you can copy-paste the room's special field's value into all doors of that room in one go.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Automation/ program - Copy 'Special' parameter 'value' from Room property and paste in to door property

SunYog,

This sounds like a huge opportunity for errors to occur. I did not hear a compelling reason for having this parameter in both rooms & doors. I would create my door schedule and include the parameters from the room as required. This keeps the data within the room, but allows the door to display it within the schedule. Take a look at the attached image.

Cheers,
    Jeff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Gotta be careful with the From/To:Room, they dont update when you flip a door

Login to Give a bone

irneb, Jeff & dhurtubise
    Thanks a lot for quick help. today i will try this and get back to you. I really appreciate you all..

Thanks & Regards

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Glad to help. BTW the From/To room bug is no longer "such" a problem. In 2014 your doors (or for that matter most family types) can have a movable room locator. That way you can even have a door far away and force it to be scheduled as if belonging to a specific room. This is where the embedded schedules work better than the From/To Room additional fields. I don't like the embedded schedules' formatting a lot, but at least it does indicate the data in groups. At least now you don't get those issues when using multiple walls to model complicated construction and/or finishes - i.e. door leading from "nowhere" to "nowhere" because a wall was inadvertently set as room bounding when it's actually meant as a plaster finish.

I wish I had this 7 years ago when I did a huge multi-use project with 10,000+ doors - we had to number the doors per room else it just became a nightmare to figure out where door number 3874 was from the printed plans. Would have helped if doors had a grid-reference like structural columns do. But even in such case the tags became unreadable due to the long numbers - so ended up redesigning them with a special door "number-per-room" (usually had between 1 to 20 doors to a room). Painful and manual! I.e. lots of chance for typing errors but just couldn't figure a "better" way at the time.

Login to Give a bone

He's using 2012

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    He's using 2012
    How'd I miss that?

Login to Give a bone

ahahahah no worries... might be time for him to upgrade

Login to Give a bone

sorry for bit late reply.. but with all above info i had manage and completed the task.. thanks again..
    @irneb, about 2014 help.. i will keep in mind .. thanks again

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast