Thread: Wishlist - Got an idea for a new function for LISP?

Past Vice President / AUGI Volunteer peter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Wishlist - Got an idea for a new function for LISP?

This thread is open for ideas?

Have you ever wanted some functionality that you believe can be achieved in .net but isn't available in LISP?

Let's here 'em.

P=

I thought a good place to start would be a splash screen. (See splash screen for LISP thread)
    Last edited by peter; 2014-01-17 at 02:33 AM.
    AutomateCAD

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wishlist - Got an idea for a new function for LISP?

Similar to the enhanced graphics of a splash screen would be a GUI for the multi-discipline AutoCAD user.
    This would be in the form of a dialog box interface that is enhanced (as in both the overall look and in the processing time taken after selection) for choosing a drawing setup for a particular engineering discipline.
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------
    CAD Systems Operation and Management
    Chemical Plant Process + Mechanical Design Focus Areas

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chillme1 View Post
    Similar to the enhanced graphics of a splash screen would be a GUI for the multi-discipline AutoCAD user.
    This would be in the form of a dialog box interface that is enhanced (as in both the overall look and in the processing time taken after selection) for choosing a drawing setup for a particular engineering discipline.
    So you want a GUI to select a discipline-specific template (DWT)?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Well, since you put it that way...

As this is open for ideas, here is the reasoning behind mine:

Beyond a simple (and very effective DWT paradigm) solution, I would like a slick front end (read 'eye candy') beyond what any DCL code could provide.
    This front end would initiate any desired engineering discipline-specific drawing setup and activate a routine behind the scenes that would check - either from code or source DWG files - from among preset standard style definitions for dimensions, text, tables, etc.; updating them as needed. Additionally, the old reliable preset DWT files would be accessed. Depending on which discipline was chosen, the user would be assured that he is working with the latest styles.
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------

Login to Give a bone

Well, since you put it that way...

As this is open for ideas, here is the reasoning behind mine:

Beyond a simple (and very effective DWT paradigm) solution, I would like a slick front end (read 'eye candy') beyond what any DCL code could provide.
    This front end would initiate any desired engineering discipline-specific drawing setup and activate a routine behind the scenes that would check - either from code or source DWG files - from among preset standard style definitions for dimensions, text, tables, etc.; updating them as needed. Additionally, the old reliable preset DWT files would be accessed. Depending on which discipline was chosen, the user would be assured that he is working with the latest styles.
    My curiosity was sincere, so please do not take anything personal; I'm trying to understand.

I work with Civil 3D and, while for a different purpose, I too am implementing a simple means by which a user can 'launch' a Profile model, a Surface model, etc. The myriad Civil 3D Styles required for each distinct model type is far too cumbersome to maintain a single template with each-and-every-single Style, and associated Layer. It (the template) is too big, wasting disk space when each model only requires a small portion of the sum-total. It's too slow to open, save, and close with all of the non-critical Styles, etc.

In any event, I've chosen to instead implement a simple contingent of Menus, and Ribbon components, as Civil 3D is heavily dependent on the Ribbon. The user simply selects the desired model type, and one is 'launched' and then set as active Document. No Modal, or Modeless Forms to maintain; just the .NET app's CommandMethod Methods + CUIx (which are both loaded via Autoloader mechanism).

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I thank you for presenting a sound and much more practical alternative here.

Perhaps the energies of those much, (MUCH) more experienced than myself would be better channeled in another endeavor other than my well-intended flight of fancy.
    Thinking about improving your environment and especially a flavor of thinking 'outside of the box' has great benefits.
    However, any endeavor benefits from a sound, well-thought out process and a well-defined and worthy goal.
    Last edited by chillme1; 2014-01-30 at 11:30 AM.
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------

Login to Give a bone

I thank you for presenting a sound and much more practical alternative here.
    That is kind of you to say; you're welcome.

...any endeavor benefits from a sound, well-thought out process and a well-defined and worthy goal.
    I've found this to be true, no matter the task, fanciful of not.

If this is something you're interested in, even if only for the sake of learning, go for it! Pursuing a creative idea has been the best 'teacher' in my own development growth, as it forced me to problem solve elements, or implied tasks that I had not previously thought of. My creative idea wasn't always successful as I had envisioned it from the outset (most often due to certain features not being exposed to the AutoCAD API), but I learned a great deal from that experience, and made a more complete attempt to plan out the next creative idea, so I'd not waste so much time up front - if that makes sense.

Cheers

Computer Specs: