Thread: Populating multiple attributes with the same value

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Populating multiple attributes with the same value

Hey All

The problem I am facing at the moment is I have 4 blocks within a single block.
    they are all identical apart from their layers.
    due to this I wish for each of the states to have an attribute that can be filled in by the user but I want all the attributes to have the same value.
    separate attributes need to be used because each one must be on its own separate layer.

In the attached file I have used 5 attributes to achieve this.
    one being an invisible attribute that all the others reference with an updating field.
    for good measure I locked their layer as well so the user cannot delete the field.

This is my best attempt at solving this problem but I remember playing with attributes awhile ago on a different version of cad and noticing that attributes with the same name kept the same value. I have been unable to replicate these results(now that I need it). I was hoping that someone might know how or possibly a better way of achieving this outcome.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Populating multiple attributes with the same value

All Attribs must have unique Tags and be Locked. So you should have 4 individual Attribs in your Block
    Typically you would create the top Attribute without anything in the Value for the Attrib. Leave this Blank. Must be filled when the Block is inserted.
    Create the next 3 Attribs, insert a Field for the Value, choose an Object (the first Attrib), Property: Value and do so for each successive Attrib.
    Now some Dynamic Action must happen on the Block to get these Fields to populate. They will not do so with any type of REGEN.

This should populate each Attrib with the Value from the first.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by clshade View Post
    All Attribs must have unique Tags and be Locked. So you should have 4 individual Attribs in your Block
    Typically you would create the top Attribute without anything in the Value for the Attrib. Leave this Blank. Must be filled when the Block is inserted.
    Create the next 3 Attribs, insert a Field for the Value, choose an Object (the first Attrib), Property: Value and do so for each successive Attrib.
    Now some Dynamic Action must happen on the Block to get these Fields to populate. They will not do so with any type of REGEN.
    This should populate each Attrib with the Value from the first.
    This is an old post but I am looking for a similar solution. What clshade has described works but the solution has a flaw, as far as as my requirement is concerned. I have created an attribute which will be used as the main value in the block. The value of this attribute must populate the second attribute's value. As far as one only changes the value of the first attribute in the enhanced attribute editor (EAE), everything works fine. But, since the second attribute is also visible in the EAE, if one changes it, the field link is broken. Now, the change in the value of the first attribute will not make the second attribute change.

Does anyone know how to hide the attribute in the EAE? I have tried to use a MText with field as the content, but it does not work.

Login to Give a bone

I know this is a old post too, but it centers around something that many people have wanted to to for a long time. The trouble is that there's no way to get attributes to update when they are in different visibility states. I've come across another idea and was planning on revisiting one of my old blocks soon. If you post yours, maybe I or someone else can take a look at it.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn