See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot repeat a specific command with space bar or right clicking the mouse

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot repeat a specific command with space bar or right clicking the mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    The reason is the Ribbon and toolbars are executing a macro. Macros may contain a series of commands when you pick that button. When using the spacebar / enter key / or right-click to repeat the last command, that is all you are doing is repeating the last command and not starting at the beginning of the series of commands within the macro.
    Thanks Opie.... I just realize what he was asking by your response..... man I was slow on this one

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot repeat a specific command with space bar or right clicking the mouse

An idea that might help (man I am really slow today with this stuff)... if you find that you are using a command over and over again like 2-Point Circle you can add the command to the Context menu for default mode (I believe that's the right one) on your Shortcut Menus. This way when you right click the command will show up in the options of commands that are available to use. I know its not the same as right clicking to repeat a command but might prove some worth if you find clicking on a toolbar or ribbon to repetitive or takes your cursor to far away from where you are working.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    The reason is the Ribbon and toolbars are executing a macro. Macros may contain a series of commands when you pick that button. When using the spacebar / enter key / or right-click to repeat the last command, that is all you are doing is repeating the last command and not starting at the beginning of the series of commands within the macro.

Sorry,, getting back to this. Ok, you say when using the spacebar / enter key/ or right click to repeat the last command and that's all it doing. But the fact is it is not repeating the last command, that's the point for original questions.

To Iceberg's question, when I select the two point circle option that icon does stay visible as if it is the default but regardless on what's showing in the ribbons when I use the space bar, etc.. it still goes back to the original default to create a circle from the center. It does not repeat the last command, which was creating a circle from 2 points. and what are you referring to as the "context menu"? I pretty much draw using one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and one hand on the mouse to select points.

I still welcome more view points on this and I do always thank you all for your input.

Regards
    Scoot
    Last edited by scoot; 2014-01-15 at 05:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Sorry,, getting back to this. Ok, you say when using the spacebar / enter key/ or right click to repeat the last command and that's all it doing. But the fact is it is not repeating the last command, that's the point for original questions.

To Iceberg's question, when I select the two point circle option that icon does stay visible as if it is the default but regardless on what's showing in the ribbons when I use the space bar, etc.. it still goes back to the original default to create a circle from the center. It does not repeat the last command, which was creating a circle from 2 points. and what are you referring to as the "context menu"? I pretty much draw using one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and one hand on the mouse to select points.

I still welcome more view points on this and I do always thank you all for your input.

Regards
    Scoot
    the COMMAND is "CIRCLE", which is defined as Center and Radius in the program. The MACRO feeds in the "2 point" option, which changes the behavior of THAT instance of the command. when you repeat the command using spacebar/enter/right-click it's repeating the command CIRCLE, not the Macro that was last summoned. "Circle by two-points" is a macro that runs the circle command and feeds in the 2 point miodifier, it's not a command.

so yes, it's working exactly as expected and exactly as documented.

Login to Give a bone

what are you referring to as the "context menu"? I pretty much draw using one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and one hand on the mouse to select points.
    Since CAD is customizable I was suggesting the possibility of adding certain tools to your right click short cut menus. When you pull up the CUI, expand the shortcut menus tree, then expand the context menu for default mode tree, you will see a couple of stars with empty spaces, in the command list below do a search for the circle command, which will bring up all of the commands for circle, locate the Circle, 2 Points option, then drag the command to one of the open star spaces in the context menu area. Apply and close, now every time you right click and bring up your shortcut menu, it will show the command to use. Simple select it and draw.

For example, I have the Layer Freeze command as a right click command option since I use that a lot and find it easier to use. I have CAD users I have added the Save command to the right click short cut menu because they find that easier than the other methods of saving.
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2014-01-15 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fix QUOTE tags

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    the COMMAND is "CIRCLE", which is defined as Center and Radius in the program. The MACRO feeds in the "2 point" option, which changes the behavior of THAT instance of the command. when you repeat the command using spacebar/enter/right-click it's repeating the command CIRCLE, not the Macro that was last summoned. "Circle by two-points" is a macro that runs the circle command and feeds in the 2 point miodifier, it's not a command.

so yes, it's working exactly as expected and exactly as documented.
    Thanks cadtag for that explanation. I understand what you are saying. I guess this puts my request for a fix unresolvable. Coming from version 2004 I really like the spacebar repeat function especially when I can click the spacebar and leaving my finger on the keys for other commands. The ribbons took me a little while to get use to but it work better with how my brain thinks about using commands and I have become favor to it.
    So, for the record I do not like having to use my mouse to click a macro when I need to repeat it over and over. The worst one is the break (without leaving a gap) macro where as I have to click modify and then break every time, or pin down the modify menu.
    However, I thank each and everyone of you for your input to my question
    Regards
    Scoot

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    Since CAD is customizable I was suggesting the possibility of adding certain tools to your right click short cut menus. When you pull up the CUI, expand the shortcut menus tree, then expand the context menu for default mode tree, you will see a couple of stars with empty spaces, in the command list below do a search for the circle command, which will bring up all of the commands for circle, locate the Circle, 2 Points option, then drag the command to one of the open star spaces in the context menu area. Apply and close, now every time you right click and bring up your shortcut menu, it will show the command to use. Simple select it and draw.

For example, I have the Layer Freeze command as a right click command option since I use that a lot and find it easier to use. I have CAD users I have added the Save command to the right click short cut menu because they find that easier than the other methods of saving.
    Thanks Iceberg. I will most definitely give this a shot.

UPDATE: This worked perfect!! and I also removed cut/copy/paste,etc from the clipboard to show up with I right click just to reduce one click
    Thanks
    Soot
    Last edited by scoot; 2014-01-15 at 07:16 PM.

Login to Give a bone

my solution to the 2 point circle command was to write this little code back when the ribbon was first introduce:

(DEFUN C:2P ()
    (COMMAND "CIRCLE" "2P" "")
    )

works like a charm for me

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vtmiii View Post
    my solution to the 2 point circle command was to write this little code back when the ribbon was first introduce:

(DEFUN C:2P ()
    (COMMAND "CIRCLE" "2P" "")
    )

works like a charm for me
    It should work perfectly, except for the LT requirement that doesn't allow for AutoLISP.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thanks cadtag for that explanation. I understand what you are saying. I guess this puts my request for a fix unresolvable. Coming from version 2004 I really like the spacebar repeat function especially when I can click the spacebar and leaving my finger on the keys for other commands. The ribbons took me a little while to get use to but it work better with how my brain thinks about using commands and I have become favor to it.
    So, for the record I do not like having to use my mouse to click a macro when I need to repeat it over and over. The worst one is the break (without leaving a gap) macro where as I have to click modify and then break every time, or pin down the modify menu.
    However, I thank each and everyone of you for your input to my question
    Regards
    Scoot
    Not that it matters much but -
    Cadtag's explanation is correct and acad has "always" worked that way - the ribbon is not relevant to your problem.
    If you had different behaviour in A2004, you either had some customisation or you were using the toolbars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12