Thread: Data Connect SHP (meters). Need to view in Imperial AutoCAD units.

Login to Give a bone

Default Data Connect SHP (meters). Need to view in Imperial AutoCAD units.

My goal is to view soils and floodplain GIS data from SHP files (only available in NAD83 state plane METER coordinate system) in a AutoCAD C3D 2012 dwg in NAD83 state plane FEET).
    Using Data Connect - Add SHP Connection -select the SHP file - Add to Map. The data is visible in my drawing, however; the location of the data is far away from my field located survey data in the FEET datum. The data appears to be using the METER datum within a dwg with primary units FEET.
    How can I make the SHP (METERS) transform to the FEET datum?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Connect SHP (meters). Need to view in Imperial AutoCAD units.

During your Data Connect steps, you select the SHP file. Before your Add to Map step, you need to specify the coordinate system. There is a button on the right end of the row listing the name of the SHP file selected.

I don't have it available at the moment or I would provide a screen shot.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Opie - Thank you for your reply. I selected the Change Coordinate Systems -In the Edit Spatial Contents dialog box I selected Edit. Then I searched for the correct coordinate system and selected it. This created an Override and clicked OK. Are these the steps you recommend?
    After I did that, the datum did not change. Is there something else I need to do?

Login to Give a bone

Does your drawing settings have a coordinate system different than the SHP file?

Did you try to reimport the SHP after you assigned the override?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Yes. The drawing setting is NAD83 state plane FEET. The SHP file is NAD83 state plane METERS. The drawing units are in FEET.

I clicked Add to Map after assigning the override. It still is located at the meter coordinate units.

Login to Give a bone

Add the SHP file to a new drawing without an override. Assign the coordinates of the new drawing to the NAD83 state plane Meters coordinate system. Save and close this new drawing.

Return to your original drawing. Using MAPWSPACE, select the Map Explorer tab. Right-click the Drawings branch on that list to Attach... the previously created Meters drawing. Then Right-click on the Current Query branch to Define... a query. I typically will select the Location... button and use the default All Boundary Type and press OK. I would then click the Property button and select the Layer radio button and click OK. Then change the Query Mode to Draw and click the Execute Query.

These steps should get the information into the right coordinates.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I tried your recommendations, however; I was not able to achieve the desired results.
    I decided to start over (close the Data Connect dwg) and use Map Import with the same SHP file (in Meters) into a drawing with Units and Zone set in NAD83 state plane FEET. It came into the drawing at the correct coordinates in FEET. I then used Tools- Map Edit-Boundary Trim to reduce the size of the data in the dwg. I was then able to convert the MPolygon objects to polylines by using Explode.
    Opie -Thank you again for trying to help.

Login to Give a bone

What version of Civ3D are you using and do you have all the updates/SP installed?

Login to Give a bone

Jmurphy- I'm using Civil 3D 2012 x64 SP3.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by fairhilleng View Post
    Jmurphy- I'm using Civil 3D 2012 x64 SP3.
    IIRC there was an issue with the coordinate files used for on the fly transformation with FDO/Data connect with Civil3D.