See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Detail and Block Libraries

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Detail and Block Libraries

Now that I have over hauled the company standards that have not been updated since the R14 days and finally rolled out CAD14 (kind of a weird twist there) I need to now focus my attention on rebuilding the company blocks and detail libraries. Let me rephrase, there are no libraries just folders with a bunch of exploded 0 layer, non-bylayer clutter in them. No lie and not exaggerating. >sigh<

So I had a meeting with the engineers and I brought in all of our CAD Detail books and laid them on the table. I told them that the details in these books are out dated and need to be reviewed so that a detail library can be created for the CAD users to easily find details that are need for our projects. And off they went and next week I will see how far they have gotten with marking them up.

So that's the back story.

Here is what I need help with. Since I need to build these libraries from scratch what is the best way to do so? I want to set it up so that the engineers can easily search for details without the need to go into CAD. Yet at the same time have the CAD users be able to grab and search for details inside of CAD. Is there such a system? I know there is Design Center but to me there has to be a more practical approach out there then using that.

So what are you guys doing? Is there software that can help organize the details?

Thank you for the feedback.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail and Block Libraries

I am sure there are better systems (particularly if you are open to buying software), but what we have done with our standard details is break them down by specification section (this is for architecture and engineering), assigning each an identification number based on the specification section number, a hyphen and a two-digit sequential number. Each detail has a detail title block (most all print to 8.5x11) that is used to create a PDF, which are then collected into a single PDF file for each discipline, with bookmarks. (We used to keep multiple binders around the office, but it became too much of a burden to update.) There is also a table of contents, if you want to quickly scan the detail numbers and titles, rather than flip through the details.

We also have standard sheets set up for sheets that are common to all projects (partitions types, door and frame types, etc.) that include both a "starter" version with the most commonly used details externally referenced and a "reference" version which has all of the details related to that sheet externally referenced, so you can open one drawing and quickly scan the details and make notes on which ones you will need on your project. A copy of the starter sheet is made for a project, the title block repathed, the common details are bound and then the additional details for that project are added.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Depends how you handle your details on the CAD end. I would be *very* tempted to customize the CAD side using data files to index/manage them. That way, those data files can be re-used in the non-CAD system so there is no need to update multiple systems.

This might be one of the few places where the Content Service would be of use, since its built for searching through primarily Autodesk-generated content.

Login to Give a bone

Whatever you decide to use, there are a couple of pearls of wisdom i'd like to string up.
    #1 - make sure the library is read-only to most users. It's imperative that personal preference stay out of the standards and they match exactly that standard always.
    #2 - place someone, if not yourself, in charge of keeping them up to date - and allotted time to do so as well.

We developed something in-house that works quite well. We also have one group who is using toolpalettes - which works well for them too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    ....we have done with our standard details is break them down by specification section (this is for architecture and engineering), assigning each an identification number based on the specification section number, a hyphen and a two-digit sequential number...
    We did something very similar at a previous employer, and it worked reasonably well. Standard details were sized to fit into a modular space on the plotted sheet (or a multiple there of), rather than intended to plot an a letter sheet, IIRC

Out of curiosity, have your people upgraded to the current CSI divisions, or are they holding fast to the 16 division system from the last century?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kwoodward View Post
    #2 - place someone,not yourself, in charge of keeping them up to date - and allotted time to do so as well.
    Fixed it for ya who would volunteer for the hassle?