Thread: Dimensioning a linked model problems

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensioning a linked model problems

I'll try to do my best to explain this, but I'm not having the issue, our MEP group is.
    We have separate arch, struct, m, e, P and FP models.
    Daily we use an Rsync method to get model updates from our firm to their firm.
    Technically we're sending them a local file and they're (mep group) linking in a local file.
    We've been told that they are having issued because we've dimensioned to something in a linked model and they need to open our model, remove the dimension before they can even load it in. We haven't had any issues are our side, but I'm wondering if anyone else has been running into this on the MEP side. ie Bring in an arch model save it, close it, and you can't open it until you "resolve the issue" in the ARch model (or any other link)
    Thanks in advance.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensioning a linked model problems

I have had an issue similar to this (I think). It's happened when the arch model has a dimension referencing a link in that arch model. When I open the arch model at first it can't find the links, so they're not loaded yet, so the dimension is invalid. Of course I re-path the links but Revit wants the dimension resolved first, which of course it can't so I have to unconstrain/delete/whatever Revit wants. I could easily see this being an issue if the MEP guys tried to just load the arch model without ever opening and cleaning it up - the arch model would still be unresolved. If they opened the arch model first they would have to resolve the issue. Then of course when they open their respective models they wouldn't have any problem any longer.

Login to Give a bone

This is our workflow and we haven't had any issues. Before sending them a file open the file as a "detach from central", go to manage links and remove all revit links, then do a purged unused. Save as in a coordination out folder(just for model tracking purpose) and then send them that file. Potential problem could just be some residual information in the file, best thing is to clean the file out as much as possible.

We even used to go as far before as deleting all views except a floor plan and RCP at each level. All elevations, drafting views, schedules, legends, sheets, etc, were deleted and then purged unused. This would get rid of 99% of annotation families from your file, which don't do anything in a link unless you are using "linked view" options.

I would be shocked if one of those methods didn't solve the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Our problem is that we would need at least 1 full time person to open and save all those models as well as our consultants. We have 50+ models for this project and we "share" them twice per day. We're over 1.2 million sqft. Average model size is about 300mb.

Login to Give a bone

Wow based on those numbers my initial reaction is... Do you really need to share models that often? Largest square foot project I've worked on was about 500k and this was the workflow we used. We only did model shares once per week and every consultant was required to do this purging process to their models, thus requiring the least amount of work. We did end up sharing models much more frequently towards the end. The process seems time consuming but once you get familiar with it (after the first 10 times, which would be in less than a day for you guys) it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on computer speed. It might be worth a shot this process will also drastically reduce your file sizes we were working with 200+mb files and they compressed down to almost 50%.

I have attached a word doc I put together years ago, but all processes should still work. In case you want to give it a try. You could just try it on the files that are giving your problems, if you are able to identify those specifically.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

We started this project just over 2yrs ago, redesigned the entire thing twice. We need to transfer models that often due to the speed of the project. The client is still making changes. We've placed about 50,000 cu yds of concrete and about 8000 tons of steel as we're just getting started. Now we just have to make everything fit. ha.
    Thanks for the document, I'll give it a look.
    I like that process you have, it's just that with the process we have, no one has to do anything. The server grabs the file, looks for the deltas, places those on the ftp, and our latest info is available. It also looks at all the consultants models on the ftp, looks for deltas, grabs them and puts them in our file server. So we exchange 50+ models, twice a day and no one has to make a mouse click. We've used this process on many other project, this is the first time we've run into an issue.