Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beam Wall Joining

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Beam Wall Joining

I have a steel beam that sits on top of a concrete wall. When I place the beam from the exterior face of the wall Revit automatically cut's back the beam to the interior face of the wall. Anyone know any tricks for getting this to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beam Wall Joining

You could adjust the start / end ext of the beam to get the desired result.

You could also use the beam / column join tool, but this will only drive the end of the beam to the C/L of the wall, so you would still have to set a start / end ext offset.

See attached images.

Hope that helps!

Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Disjoin the beam from the wall, Revit joins walls and beams by default if you select an edge of a wall when creating a beam even though it doesn't tell you. Also depending on the penetration of the beam it may be good to set your analytical lines to the external edge of your wall so the beam will move.

Dave B. Also has some comments on beams punching holes in walls if you need it. I think there in the tips and tricks area.

Worse Case scenario use vertical references lines along the wall, host the beams to a horizontal reference plane aswell, then snap them all together. This should give you utlimate control although setting it up can be a PITA.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by G_J View Post
    You could adjust the start / end ext of the beam to get the desired result.

You could also use the beam / column join tool, but this will only drive the end of the beam to the C/L of the wall, so you would still have to set a start / end ext offset.

See attached images.

Hope that helps!

Glenn
    There are couple issues with your first suggest. First if I use the triangles to drag the start and end offset values, they don't snap to anything including the face of the wall where I am trying to start the beam from. Also if I use technique it doesn't adjust the length parameter for scheduling purposes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by m20roxxers View Post
    Disjoin the beam from the wall, Revit joins walls and beams by default if you select an edge of a wall when creating a beam even though it doesn't tell you. Also depending on the penetration of the beam it may be good to set your analytical lines to the external edge of your wall so the beam will move.

Dave B. Also has some comments on beams punching holes in walls if you need it. I think there in the tips and tricks area.

Worse Case scenario use vertical references lines along the wall, host the beams to a horizontal reference plane aswell, then snap them all together. This should give you utlimate control although setting it up can be a PITA.
    So who do I disjoin the beam for wall. If I use the unjoin tool nothing unjoins. Also my beam doesn't penetrate the wall it sits on top of it.

So how do you use vertical reference planes, you can't lock then end point of a beam to them, and if I put a horizontal reference plane and associate the beam to it. It still joins to the wall.

Login to Give a bone

Looks like it's back to creating generic model for the elements that I want to model exactly and efficiently. Man you would think in structural modeling program it wouldn't be this hard.
    Last edited by djn; 2010-07-15 at 05:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I am having the same problem with the 2013 version. This is BASIC stuff. This is just one example of how poorly so many things in Revit Structure have been designed. Sad.

Login to Give a bone

I have the exact same problem and considering this topic was created in 2010, I hope this issue has already been fixed by now. Here's what's happening to me:

When I place a structural beam on the top face of a structural wall, Revit (2014) automatically pushes the edge of the beam to the farthest edge of the top face of the wall, when what I really wanted was for the beam to go just until the wall top face's centerline. I have played around with the Joins and Trim/Extend functions to no success. I've also added a Reference Plane to the centerline of the wall and tried to Trim/Extend-Lock the edge of the beam to that plane but that didn't work either. Is there something I'm missing or the setting that I want is just not possible? I have attached a picture with an example. Appreciate your help on this. Thanks in advance.

Example.jpg

Login to Give a bone

If you want the beam to sit in a pocket int he wall, make a pocket in the wall.
    Slice the wall on both sides of the beam, drop the top of the wall, place beam over the wall.
    Not sure what the issue is.
    Yes you'll need to pocket the wall if that's what you're looking to do.
    If you're truely setting the beam on the top of the wall, make sure you're using a different level to associate it to.
    Don't use the Z direction offset, that only move the visible model, not the analytical model, with will cause your model not to join correctly. I just checked this method, I can stop it at centerline wall or outside face (back of pocket) The beam will not cut the wall for you. You might be able to get it to work in 2014 with the new priority settings for what cuts what.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your quick response.

I don't want the beam to sit in a pocket but rather to stand on top of the wall, which means, they don't actually intersect. You can join them but the volume isn't altered. Still, I followed your suggestion but the result was the same. As long as the beam intersects the wall, it will automatically extend along the entire top face of the wall.

I'm not sure what you mean by "using a different level to associate it to". The beam and the wall both have specific heights and positions that cannot be changed for the sake of the modeling.

You mentioned you could Trim/Extend at will so I may be missing something (make sure they are both Structural Elements; this problem doesn't occur when the wall is set to non-structural).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast