See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tagging Electrical Circuit Custom Parameters

Login to Give a bone

Default Tagging Electrical Circuit Custom Parameters

Hi all,

I have an issue where we want to tag custom parameters which we have created for our electrical circuits.

I have used project parameters and added these to the electrical circuits category. I have then added these to our panel schedule template.

My question is, is there anyway to show these parameters in a plan view via tagging? or will it only report in the panel schedule?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tagging Electrical Circuit Custom Parameters

You would have to use SHARED PARAMETERS for this. Basically the circuit and the tag would "share" the same parameter which can also be scheduled.

See this thread for more info...http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ared-Parameter

Login to Give a bone

Hi Mattw

Thanks for your reply, the problem with using shared parameters in the way you describe is I cannot create a tag which is assigned to the Electrical Circuits category. At the moment I have added a shared parameter to my Panel Schedule template which reads custom information, this has to be under the electrical circuits category as a project parameter (as far as I'm aware) to allow for the adding to the panel schedule. Because I cannot create a tag for the Electrical Circuits category I therefore have no "link" in data between the drawings and the panel schedule. The information is there, I can even see it in the properties when selecting circuited fixtures, I just cannot work out how I can tag this. I can add the same parameters to the electrical fixtures, but if I update that parameter it wont update the panel schedule (i assume because its under a different category).

I could stop if I wanted to mhartmann's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

can you create a copy of the standard device circuit number tag, edit label within the tag family to point to your parameter instead? what are you trying to tag in plan, a device or a wire?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I've got a bunch of custom tags for various devices/pieces of equipment. You have to use shared parameters and a separate tag family specific to each family category. I have tags for light fixtures, mechanical equipment, lighting devices, electrical fixtures, electrical equipment, FA devices, etc., and most of them have multiple types depending on what service branch/type of device it is. It's kind of annoying to manage, but it works, and keeps all of the data coordinated between plans and schedules. As far as I can tell, there's no generic "electrical circuit tag" that would apply across family categories.

Login to Give a bone

Can you explain what you are trying to add and to where? Panel Schedule parameters are a little bit of a pain, but if you can post what information you are trying to add and in what places. Maybe some screenshots or sketches it would allow us to give you some more specific advice, because with panel schedule parameters things function kind of out of the normal realm.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all thanks very much for the replies.

What I'm basically after is to assign certain information to the circuit and then tag this on the drawing,. The main one being circuit references, in the UK there is a big issue with using revits inbuilt panel schedules, the closest I can get to the standard circuit naming convention is to have it as L11 L12 L13, L21 L22 L23 as opposed to 1L1 1L2 1L3, 2L1 2L2 2L3. As such I wanted to create a parameter on the circuit which I can fill in manually on the panel schedule and then tag on the drawing - this however is proving very troublsome... There are other bits of information such as if the circuit requires an RCD, CPC size etc which I want to add to my panel schedule and possibly tag in the drawing also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

ok so I'm still not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but I'm going to take a stab at what I got. Just a quick question too, so tag displays L11 meaning circuit 11 on panel "L" right? But in the UK you guys show this as 1L1?

This by no means is as nice as you want and it is a little bit of effort. So in the panel schedules on the circuiting part of the panel you can only add "electrical circuit" parameters, which none of these can be tagged in plans. What you "can" do although not easy nor automated by any stretch is add a "shared project parameter" for "electrical circuits" and for "electrical fixtures". You then can create an "electrical circuits" schedule that has an embedded "electrical fixture" schedule. This will allow you to schedule the parameters in the same schedule from both categories.

So the workflow would be as follows after you have the "shared project parameters" added to the categories. Place a receptacle and populate the "shared parameter" as you need(this is can be tagged). Then after you do a handful or however many you choose, go to the schedule you created and basically copy the text you entered in the receptacle into the same "shared parameter" you have on the "electrical circuits" category(this will now populate your schedule). The "electrical circuit" schedule is basically your visual backcheck and method to ensure the values are the same between the receptacle and the circuit.

I have attached 3 screenshots to kind of show the workflow. Like I said not ideal little bit of manual effort, you can add as many parameters as you need to just have to manually verify the data matches in both places.

Wish I had better news for ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply! I had got as far as adding project parameters to the Electrical Circuits and Electrical Fixtures categories, and my workflow so far was to manually change them.

The embedded schedule is a good way to organise it and obtain some comfort in checking and cross referencing. I think this is the best way to go for now until Autodesk finally add in more functionality to the panel schedules to accommodate standards based on the British Standards...

thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply! I had got as far as adding project parameters to the Electrical Circuits and Electrical Fixtures categories, and my workflow so far was to manually change them.

The embedded schedule is a good way to organise it and obtain some comfort in checking and cross referencing. I think this is the best way to go for now until Autodesk finally add in more functionality to the panel schedules to accommodate standards based on the British Standards...

thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast