Thread: CAD Technician Expectations

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question CAD Technician Expectations

Hello All!

It's been quite a few years since I've been in the AUGI forums! In my past life I spent 5 years as a CAD Manager for residential architecture firms... In 2009, when the housing market crashed & my job disappeared, I made the jump from CAD Management to full-time IT. I have come to realize that I miss the career I oh so loved and am looking to get back into it. The problem is, it's been about 4 years since I touched AutoCAD with any kind of skill/proficiency (had my expert cert back then)... I know I'm going to have to start off as a low-level drafter until I get back into the swing of things (which is fine). My knowledge of the program is still surprisingly solid (according to the CAD tests I've found online) but I would imagine my technical skills are a bit rusty (i.e. how a complete set of construction docs goes together)... My question to all of you is, what are the skills/knowledge you are looking for when hiring a new drafter for your firm? What are some of the things you ask potential drafters in interviews to determine their skills and what are some of the things you expect them to be able to sit down & do on Day 1? What can I expect to be on a CAD Test?

Any direction/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Kyle

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD Technician Expectations

Number one factor is going to be industry knowledge. Residential houses vs commercial buildings vs subdivision design vs roads vs commercial site vs damsites. It's lot easier to bring someone with basic drafting knowledge and limited CAD skills onboard if they have some knowledge of the field we work in. Somebody who's a cad whiz at doing house plans, but knows nothing about stormwater is not going to be my first choice.

That said, I started ink & mylar on the boards, moved into cad when it came along, ended up in networking, IT Mgmt, web development, and finally got back to doing something worthwhile back in the design/CAD world. So good luck! you're heading in a _good_ direction!!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hello Kyle,

Every company will be different, but personally I don't care about your CAD knowledge. OK, that's not exactly true. I would like you to understand the basics, have the ability to use Paperspace/Model space, etc. But in general, your CAD skills are of little importance. I care much more if you understand the industry, are willing to learn, can follow instructions, and understand design communication (lineweights, symbols, schedules, etc that make up a good set of documents).

If you have Revit skills, or skills in software that I can leverage, that's all the better.

Let me add: I've been using CAD for 25 years. Just like I expect you to know how to use a Pencil, I suspect you have some idea how to use AutoCAD or else you likely wouldn't be applying for the job. I might ask for a sample of your work or just ask you a handful of questions, if you sound competent I likely wouldn't even bother with a CAD test... it's just an expected skill. I'll be much more critical of your skills in other areas, such as 3D modeling software, project experience, your understanding of our industry and processes.

You will need skills that separate you from the other candidates, those are the reasons I would hire you. CAD skills are nice, but if you are passing CAD tests with good marks then I'm not concerned about your abilities to use the software, I care about the extra value you can bring to the table in other areas. In short: CAD skills won't get you hired like they used to (they can keep you from being hired, but I doubt you need to worry about that based on your description) unless you are going into CAD management, but your skills in other areas will be the items that separate you from the crowd.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2014-02-26 at 06:56 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

When I hire, I expect solid AutoCAD fundamentals... I don't care about previous experience in general, I actually prefer to hire someone with limited/no experience.

I don't want bad habits, I don't want someone stuck in their way of doing things, and I don't want to hear anything from a new guy about how great it would be to do something a different way on his first day.

I administer a CAD test prior to hiring, to judge basic skills and ability to adapt. The 90 day probation period is like an extended test. If the new hire hasn't figured it out by 30 days, it's likely they won't see the 45 day mark.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Let me add: I've been using CAD for 25 years. Just like I expect you to know how to use a Pencil, I suspect you have some idea how to use AutoCAD or else you likely wouldn't be applying for the job. I might ask for a sample of your work or just ask you a handful of questions, if you sound competent I likely wouldn't even bother with a CAD test... it's just an expected skill. I'll be much more critical of your skills in other areas, such as 3D modeling software, project experience, your understanding of our industry and processes.
    I don't know about that, Brian. I don't know if times have changed or what, but, the Engineer who gave me my CAD test at my last job said that numerous people applied for the role, who couldn't even open a file, let alone use x-refs or other basic features. They had a little industry experience, and just assumed they could pick up CAD as they went (not that I'm dissing... I took my current job with no Archibus experience, but, I'd worked with very similar products in the past and am proven to be adaptable with all software).

So, that said, the test given to me was to create a drawing, with certain features in certain coordinates, then x-ref in another file later (which had to interact well with the drawing entities), then plot and email the file.

Of course, when I interviewed a potential replacement for that role, I focused more on the attitude of the person. The role needed a self-starter who could take initiative and work alone, but, who could also work for others without complaint when needed (I think people tend to lean one way or the other, but, this role was vital to need both). The tech support and collaboration were just as important as the ability to read blueprints.

To answer the OP, it's really going to depend on who the gatekeeper is to your hiring. If you've got to get past HR, do keyword matching and make sure you've got the educational tickbox... if the hiring manager has more pull, the personality issues will trump the impersonal HR screen.

You can get some tips from CAD Manager, Mark Kiker, here: http://www.augi.com/publications/audio-video-contentA six part podcast series "Finding a Design Job". Network with the local folks and get to know one another, so you can learn what their companies are looking for in particular.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradomrg View Post
    When I hire, I expect solid AutoCAD fundamentals... I don't care about previous experience in general, I actually prefer to hire someone with limited/no experience.
    CAD fundamentals is a must along with good work ethics and reliability. If a project needs to get done can I rely on you in the trenches to get the project out the door. You also need to have the right personality. You can be the greatest CAD person ever but if you don't have the right personality to fit in and work well with the team then your skills are useless. I like people who are open minded and not complacent. Also if your looking to work in a specific field apply to those places, example if you want to do architectural work don't apply for a civil engineering position.

My CAD test is 2 parts, multiple choice and then how well you can put together a simple drawing following a markup and instructions. At the end of the day it's about fundamentals and following directions.