Thread: Inserting jp2 from USGS in C3D 2013

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Inserting jp2 from USGS in C3D 2013

I am searching for help in attaching an aerial image (.jp2 from USGS site) to a drawing in which I built a surface from a USGS DEM. The drawing with the surface is set to a state plane CS. From what I understand the image is UTM Meters.

It was suggested to create new dwg and set to meters, insert image, save and close, then query into my dwg with the surface. That's where I seem to get stuck. I'm missing the query steps and what I've tried doesn't work.

Any ideas or pointer to threads would be very appreciated.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inserting jp2 from USGS in C3D 2013

The steps towards the bottom of the post should get you what you are after, given the following conditions that you provided are true.

Quote Originally Posted by normans287999 View Post
    I am searching for help in attaching an aerial image (.jp2 from USGS site) to a drawing in which I built a surface from a USGS DEM. The drawing with the surface is set to a state plane CS.
    The drawing you are wanting to reference this aerial image into does indeed have a coordinate system assigned to it.

It was suggested to create new dwg and set to meters, insert image, save and close,
    I am assuming you have completed creating a seperate drawing in meters, with the UTM coordinate system assigned, inserted the aerial image, and saved & closed the drawing.

then query into my dwg with the surface. That's where I seem to get stuck. I'm missing the query steps and what I've tried doesn't work.
    here are the steps to attach the aerial drawing and query that drawing to have your aerial image inserted into your DEM drawing (with screenshots):

1. You need to attach the drawing before you can query it. Make sure you have the "Planning & Analysis" workspace up and on the Map Setup ribbon, under the Map Panel, hit the drop down and select "Drawing Set"

ATTACH DWG.PNG

2. This will bring up the Define/Modify Drawing Set dialog box. Click on attach and path to where your aerial image drawing is located. Select the drawing and click Add, then click OK, then click OK on the Define/Modify Drawing Set dialog box.

ATTACH DIALOG.PNG

3. Now that the drawing is attached you need to type MAPWSPACE to bring up the Map Task Pane. Under the Map Explorer tab of the task pane you will see the drawing is attached under drawings and under that you will see a Query Library node with "Current Query" underneath it. Double click "Current Query"

MAPWSPACE.PNG

4. This takes you to the Define Query of Attached Drawing(s) dialog box. You will see several differnt buttons and radio buttons. You first want to click on Location under Query Type, which will bring up the Location Condition dialog box. Under Boundary Type select the "All" radio button and click OK. This will take you back to the Define Query of Attached Drawing(s) dialog box. You will next want to make sure that under Query Mode the Draw radio button is selected. if your dialog box matches the image I attached then you are ready to click the Execute Query button.

DEFINE QUERY.PNG

The command line should say that 1 object has been queried and you may have to zoom extents. Your aerial image should now be inserted into your drawing and located correctly. If so, right click on the attached drawing in the Map Taske Pane and select dettach. I know this was a lot of steps and I hope it made sense.