See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Description Key Sets - Moving Points to the correct Point Group

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Description Key Sets - Moving Points to the correct Point Group

I was wondering if this was an acceptable solution to my situation or maybe there is a better solution.

Basically, I have a point group called MIS-CODED. When I import my point file any points that do not match any of my preset Description Keys are thrown into this point group, however I do not want them to stay in this Point Group. I want to move them to the correct point group that they should be in.

What I have been doing is, once my points have been imported. I then go and open up my Description Key file for that specific project. Locate the MIS-CODED points and adjust the RAW description to include the correct code so that it will be moved and placed into the correct point group, thus moving them out of the MIS-CODED grouping.

Is this a correct practice? Or maybe there is a simpler way to this whole process?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Description Key Sets - Moving Points to the correct Point Group

Once you have corrected the code, you would update the MIS-CODED point group. The update should remove the corrected point.

I would be interested in seeing how you determine a point is MIS-CODED.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Once you have corrected the code, you would update the MIS-CODED point group. The update should remove the corrected point.

I would be interested in seeing how you determine a point is MIS-CODED.
    I saw this late Opie, I apologize. When I'm back in the office to look at one of the ASCII files I have I will post how the point group is setup. Basically the survey crew doesn't have a raw description code that matches the description key so those points get filtered into that point group.

Login to Give a bone

So this is an example from a recent job.

The Survey Description Key is Set up this way: (Our survey Codes are set up as numbers for the RAW description)

6 - Point Style - Label Style - NAIL$*-Layer

So basically the survey crew types in 6 on there data collector and then shoots the point. When it gets inserted into Civil3D, the format will replace the RAW description of 6 to read NAIL. When imported in, 6 (Nail) will be placed into my Points - Control point group.

For this particular project, the survey crew typed in NAIL into the Data collector. This point is MIS-CODED in the field and there is no Code set up for NAIL in the Description Key. This point will be placed into my MIS-CODED point group.

The MIS-CODED point group is setup to exclude all of my RAW descriptions, examples 1*, 2*, 6*, etc. So any codes that do not match a RAW description in the Description Code list will automatically be placed into my MIS-CODED point group for me to sort through and then place into the correct point group.

What I have been doing, is gong back into the Description KEY, and adding the RAW NUMBER to these points to move them. So my new Format will Read 6 NAIL$* in the format, which then moves the points accordingly.

I hope that makes sense.

Login to Give a bone

It makes sense. I didn't even think about the Exclude option. (See Avatar.)

Did you know the 1*, 2*, 6* setting selects all points with a code starting with those numbers. So if you have a code of 1, it will select it. It will also select all points that start with 1, such as, 10 or 112 or 1ABC. If you do not have any codes with the extra letters, these excluded codes may not catch all of your mis-coded points.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I need to look into. The Survey guys said that you need the wild card in there so that if additional information is enter in it will show up in the full description.

Example: 6 = BLC (Building Corner) 6 DOOR. The survey guys want to see that extra text on the description. So that's why its set up with the wild card. I want to take the wild card out, because I am almost positive you do not need it and simply replace it with a plane $ or $1 perhaps. It should bring in the points the same way as using the wild cards but limit the potential, like you said of missing some of the mis coded points.

Login to Give a bone

You can add a period after the field code and before the asterisk. That way it will only select the specified numbered field code.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    You can add a period after the field code and before the asterisk. That way it will only select the specified numbered field code.
    Thanks Opie... I did not know that.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    ...Basically I have a point group called MIS-CODED...
    The way I deal with 'mis-coded' points is to have a default point style that stands out in my drawing (big, ugly, yellow spots in our case); that way, anything that isn't assigned a specific point style upon import by the description key ends up looking like a yellow blotch in the drawing. I then zoom to these, fix the raw description, then <right-click> Apply Description Keys, and there you have it.

HTH.