See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Auto restart caused AutoCAD to lose settings.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Windows 7 Auto restart caused AutoCAD to lose settings.

Yesterday I left AutoCAD(2014) open at the end of my work day. When I logged on this morning I saw that Windows 7 had installed updates.
    Much to my dismay, when I reopened AutoCAD, everything was screwed up. My workspace had changed. I was able to get that back. Some of my
    settings were lost, for instance SECURELOAD was back at the default setting. Also, my Application startup suite was completely emptied.

Now of course, the simple solution to this problem is that I should close AutoCAD at the end of the day. However, I suspect that any
    interuption such as an AutoCAD crash will have the same effect. I have not yet determined what
    other settings have been lost. I will discover soon enough I am sure.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? It NEVER happened to me in 2013.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Windows 7 Auto restart caused AutoCAD to lose settings.

I had a user yesterday lose his settings on an XP machine after a slew of updates were pushed out. I suspect something in the updates wonked a registry entry or something. We keep our profiles and cui files backed up on the server so it was just a matter of replacing the bad profile with a backup. Weird thing for him was that acad was closed when the updates occurred (supposedly).

AutoCAD has long been known to drop settings on a crash, or unexpected close.

I use acaddoc.lsp to make sure that settings are set correctly no matter what happened previously. I also load all my lisp and custom routines through acaddoc.lsp and don't use the startup suite at all.

Login to Give a bone

At the least, if there's a compelling need to keep the machine ON for the 14 or so hour's you're not there, run a Restart when you leave for the day. And don't forget to close AutoCAD when you take off for lunch. While better than it used to be, Acad is still prone to memory leaks and glitches that a close and restart helps clean up.

As far as crashes and settings go, while I've had numerous crashes with Acad/c3d/2011/2014 -- none of them have affected any of my settings yet. YMMV

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaff View Post
    Yesterday I left AutoCAD(2014) open at the end of my work day.
    Why ?
    It NEVER happened to me in 2013.
    Dumb luck.

Login to Give a bone

I leave my system on for updating. I leave applications open so I can get my day started quickly. Not anymore though of course.

Login to Give a bone

I leave my system on for updating. I leave applications open so I can get my day started quickly. Not anymore though of course.
    I've tried that in the past, because things would take so long to start up... but, I kept having weird visual artifacts or updates causing restarts that buggered some sysvars (FILEDIA is one I remember happening a few times)... figured my life would be simpler if I just went and got a cup of coffee while it got started in the mornings.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

One of THOSE *rassumfrassumlicensehogging* people... Lets say you are late getting in, hit by a bus, whatever. Whoops - files are locked, licenses are checked out. Now IT has to unlock your computer and/or files and/or licenses.

Always, always, ALWAYS a bad idea to have applications running while installing Windows updates. Those include updates to .NET Framework and other core components, which many applications depend on. Applications using DLLs prevent those DLLs from being updated. Not to mention automated restarts. You probably don't have power conservation enabled on your computer, so its drawing power all night long (a bit of a stretch, but efficient mindsets carries to other activities, as do inefficient ones).

Login to Give a bone

Here is the deal. Our internet connection sucks. When I DO have to start everything in the morning, Outlook, Evernote, Chrome, Antivirus, etc., all need to connect. They do so very slowly. If I try to start AutoCAD when all of that is going on it's a pain. I get what you all are saying, and I concede that I have to shut down all of the applications every night. But what will happen is this, because it always seems to. An email will arrive from a customer shortly after I leave. My boss will be CC'd on it. When I arrive in the morning, If I haven't addressed said email by 8:10, and I won't because I won't get it until Outlook finally fully connects, my boss will be at my cube wondering why the hell I'm not taking care of it. During the day after all of this connecting has happened, AutoCAD shuts down and restarts quite quickly. This is not about laziness. We don't have an IT department. I am the pseudo cad manager. I say pseudo because I do the work without the title or pay. I am also a pseudo project manager for the same reason. Also, no one would have to unlock anything. No checked out licenses, and no one else uses my computer. I work on my own project drawings so locked drawings are not an issue. I know ALL about the problems those things would cause and if that were a possibility I would have never posted this in the first place because I wouldn't have been doing it. That said, I DO have power conservation enabled. I think you just threw that in as a dig. Insults are not necessary in this or any other AUGI forum.

Login to Give a bone

Here is the deal. Our internet connection sucks. When I DO have to start everything in the morning, Outlook, Evernote, Chrome, Antivirus, etc., all need to connect. They do so very slowly. If I try to start AutoCAD when all of that is going on it's a pain. I get what you all are saying, and I concede that I have to shut down all of the applications every night. But what will happen is this, because it always seems to. An email will arrive from a customer shortly after I leave. My boss will be CC'd on it. When I arrive in the morning, If I haven't addressed said email by 8:10, and I won't because I won't get it until Outlook finally fully connects, my boss will be at my cube wondering why the hell I'm not taking care of it. During the day after all of this connecting has happened, AutoCAD shuts down and restarts quite quickly. This is not about laziness. We don't have an IT department. I am the pseudo cad manager. I say pseudo because I do the work without the title or pay. I am also a pseudo project manager for the same reason. Also, no one would have to unlock anything. No checked out licenses, and no one else uses my computer. I work on my own project drawings so locked drawings are not an issue. I know ALL about the problems those things would cause and if that were a possibility I would have never posted this in the first place because I wouldn't have been doing it. That said, I DO have power conservation enabled. I think you just threw that in as a dig. Insults are not necessary in this or any other AUGI forum.
    Look into the cause of your lousy internet connection; find better alternatives and go to your boss and explain.
    Actually, go to your boss and explain anyway.

Login to Give a bone

He knows full well about the internet connection. This is a brand new office(2 years old) with new wiring. We had AT&T the first year. Switched to cable, same problems. Our IT services guy has probably spent 60 hours over the past year trying to figure it out and has spent countless hours on the phone with hardware vendors and the ISPs. I've just learned to accept it. We only have two ISPs to choose from here. It is what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast