Thread: Materials

Login to Give a bone

Default Materials

Hi All
    Can any one help me
    How can I import a DWG file with all materials into 3ds max so that I can render it here.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Materials

Have you tried exporting it as an FBX file then importing it to 3dsMax? or a .3ds? or an .obj?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply

No I was using the Import Link AutoCAD.
    I will give it a try and let you Know.
    Thanks again

Login to Give a bone

I Have tried to use FBX but the window tells me there is nothing to export (see screenshot) and I tried to export as a .3ds and .obj file but I don't seem to have the option. (see screenshot)
    Can you point me in the right direction.Export issues 1.1.pngFBX export issues.png
    Thanks again

Login to Give a bone

I just tried making a 3D extrusion and exported it as a .fbx, and as a .sat file. worked for me and that was old CAD '07 to 3dsMax2013. Let me ask you this, did you have the objects selected when you went to export them as fbx? Also, it can only be 3D objects, not sure any sun paths will work if you have them selected.

EDIT:
    Did you mean you tried linking CAD thru the "Max Logo" (top left corner) then "References" then "Manage" links. Because that worked for me too. That would be my #1 suggestion.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I have been importing the DWG file by going to the 3DS logo then to Import , then to Link Auto-cad. This imports the file and I chose which layers to import. The model is created in ACA 2014 (Auto cad architecture 2014) and the solids such as the walls and the doors windows roofs stairs etc are all AEC objects. These are modified using the style manager and have materials assigned to them.
    When I import using the method above all of the objects are imported but the materials assigned to them are not.
    I have tried to export the DWG file as an FBX but the AEC objects are not able to be be exported, the only objects that are exported are the compass and the camera.
    I have tried to export as a.SAT file and have included the result again none of the AEC objects were exported. ( the ridge caps and gutters are surfaces and not AEC objects)

I have attached some screen shots to illustrate what happens

I hope this helps. I am at a loss here, and wasting time and clients money so its important that I get this resolved
    I was hoping that when I purchased 3DSMax it would solve my problems not make more.
    DWG file exported as SAT file and saved.pngSAT file imported into 3ds max.png3DS Max References Manage links .png3DS Max dwg link autocad .png

Login to Give a bone

Just a quick thought
    When I create the model I place each type of object on its own layer before I save it s at least I can select the objects.
    This does not affect the materials as they are added via the style manager and not just assigned to the objects.
    Materials assigned by layer i.e. grass, on the ground layer leather on the sofa layer , wood for kitchen cabinets layer are not exported either even though the layer is.

Login to Give a bone

hmm... shot in the dark, but could you explode the AEC objects and walls in your CAD file then trying importing them into Max?
    Also, would saving your 2014 CAD file as a CAD 2000 work? Sometimes that dumbs all the "new" stuff back down to make it more neutral.