Thread: working with different project numbers

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question working with different project numbers

hello all,

how do you solve the, say, file/folder naming if the client project number ref is different from your internal ref?

For instance
    Client project number: 3401
    Internal project number: 2709

thanks in advance
    J

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: working with different project numbers

I would use the internal number in your internal system. If the client requires you to prefix files, etc. with their number when sent to them, you can do that when you package files to send to them. I've only had to do that on government projects, but it helps keep the "sent" archive separate from my working files.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

My files are treated as MY files... even if they really belong to someone else cept when the contract says I have to follow some other standard (government or large corporation work).

While my file and folder structure rely on my job numbers, nothing in the titleblocks or on the drawings references my internal info though - it all matches the clients.

Login to Give a bone

We use the internal number for our folder structure and add it to the title block along with the client's project number.
    At the end of the project we print a set for archives and then remove our number from the title block before we turn over the drawing files to the client.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jagostinho134030 View Post
    hello all,

how do you solve the, say, file/folder naming if the client project number ref is different from your internal ref?

For instance
    Client project number: 3401
    Internal project number: 2709

thanks in advance
    J
    Like David, my experience bears out most companies will include their company project number and the client's project number in the titleblock (as the client, my CAD Standards require our project number be added, as a 100 year old facility will renovate the same space many times or move a function from one building to another, so we have to have a way to quickly differentiate). I do not believe they USE that data in any way, they use their own.

Now, I am not aware of anyone removing their company's project number prior to turnover. Their project number has come in handy a few times when going back to ask for documents afterward.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Now, I am not aware of anyone removing their company's project number prior to turnover. Their project number has come in handy a few times when going back to ask for documents afterward.
    We only do this at the clients request for final record drawings. We keep our own set before we remove that. We've had requests before to remove our logo from drawings as well. At turn over, we've already archived everything we've needed for our internal records so I've got no issue doing what ever the person who's writing the check asks.
    I don't think it's ever been a problem for us to add additional information during the course of a project but I've been asked to remove it before turn over.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    We only do this at the clients request for final record drawings. We keep our own set before we remove that. We've had requests before to remove our logo from drawings as well. At turn over, we've already archived everything we've needed for our internal records so I've got no issue doing what ever the person who's writing the check asks.
    I don't think it's ever been a problem for us to add additional information during the course of a project but I've been asked to remove it before turn over.
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. ~shrugs~ Whatever, I'm sure the client had their reasons.

We always archived a set as we'd received it, then we'd extract the primary data from the files and copy that to our working sets (like MEPFP systems, etc). The archived set always looked just like the final paper submittals (~shudder~ oooh, I hate paper ).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Funny. On existing building remodels that's all I ever trust is the paper copy. I've yet to get a set of Arch cad backgrounds that match (or really come close) to what the structural paper copies show (unless they were cad plans we've done). There's always something that doesn't match up. The ones I really hate are the "cad" files that were converted from a scanned paper drawing Tiff image. I tend to find myself just requesting the paper copies (pdfs) and re-drawing it. So for me, I love paper, the older the better. Isn't it amazing that an 8 story CIP building from the 1940-50's has about 10 sheets and maybe 2 revisions (structurally) and that same building if designed today would be 100+ sheets and at least 10 revisions.
    Funny how the times have changed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Funny. On existing building remodels that's all I ever trust is the paper copy. I've yet to get a set of Arch cad backgrounds that match (or really come close) to what the structural paper copies show (unless they were cad plans we've done). There's always something that doesn't match up. The ones I really hate are the "cad" files that were converted from a scanned paper drawing Tiff image. I tend to find myself just requesting the paper copies (pdfs) and re-drawing it. So for me, I love paper, the older the better. Isn't it amazing that an 8 story CIP building from the 1940-50's has about 10 sheets and maybe 2 revisions (structurally) and that same building if designed today would be 100+ sheets and at least 10 revisions.
    Funny how the times have changed.
    Oh, don't even get me started on the failings of modern plan sets compared to their historic counterparts.

I stopped accepting paper copies for final deliverables years ago (2002, I think), though. It's not practical (for maintenance or future planning) on a 6mil sq ft campus with complex systems under constant renovation, it has to be electronic and updatable or it will never work.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Record drawings are different, in that they are supposed to include information from the contractor reflecting as-built conditions. When we issue 'record' drawings, all logos, initials and references to our company are removed. And a big disclaimer that the drawings may or may not reflect actual as-built conditions. Our liability insurance dictates the necessity to remove our identifying information from this set.