Thread: Autosave not working

Login to Give a bone

Default Autosave not working

I have not infrequent program crashes. Previous consultations have determined that my pc is underpowered and can't handle too much ACA activity at once. Therefore I try to keep the number of ACA windows open to a minimum. Today with only one ACA window open and opening a second in order to copy paste data from the other file, ACA crashed.

Upon restarting ACA, no record of my drawing that I was working on was present in the Drawing Recovery Manager. I then went to where the backup files are stored in the Temp folder of my App Data folder. The last Autosave was over 4 hours old. I lost a lot of work.

Running on Windows Vista Home Premium. Options/Open and Save...File Safety Precautions: Automatic Save box is checked, set to 5 minutes between saves.

Is there any way to fix this problem where ACA is not saving my work according to my set preferences? This problem has been getting gradually worse, with actual AutoSaves occurring further and further apart time wise.

I could stop if I wanted to Andy.88917's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autosave not working

We had the same issue and found that the autosave feature turned itself off very often. We added a line in our acad.lsp to turn it on and set the save time and we reload the .lsp with every drawing. So now, every time we open a new drawing it double checks that autosave is on and set to the time interval we require.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autosave not working

For what it is worth:

I would not rely on AutoSave to save my work. I realize that at times it is possible to get wrapped up in doing the drawing and forgetting to save, and for that reason I do not turn off AutoSave, but I consider it the last refuge when all else has failed.

If you have known actions that often cause crashes, then manually saving before doing these is a habit worth developing.

The AutoSave timer resets with each manual save, so if you do save often, you may not get many AutoSaves.

When you say "keep the number of ACA windows open to a minumum", are you talking about keeping the number of drawing files open at one time in the same instance of ACA to a minimum or are you talking about keeping the number of ACA sessions to a minimum? If your machine is memory-challenged, then I would not recommend having more than one instance of ACA running at a time, as well as keeping the number of open drawings to a reasonable number (which could vary, depending upon the effective file size of each drawing, including any externally referenced files in each drawing).