Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual dimensioning in ACAD 2004

Login to Give a bone

Question Dual dimensioning in ACAD 2004

Has anyone found a way to keep dual dimensions above and below the dimension line, without having the line broken? We could do it in 2000, but not anymore.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dual dimensioning in ACAD 2004

Hi

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD Customization Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Are you referring to Alternative Units (as used in the Dimension Style Dialog Box)?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

yes it is.

Login to Give a bone

Sure,

Turn on alternate units.
    Add "\X" as a Dim suffix under primary units.

RLB

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richard.binning
    Turn on alternate units.
    Add "\X" as a Dim suffix under primary units.
    Hi

What version of AutoCAD did you test this in?

From the testing I carried out, it works fine in AutoCAD 2000i & 2002.

But in AutoCAD 2004 & 2005 it appears not to be honoured correctly.

Within AutoCAD 2004 & 2005 I found you can enter "\X" into the "Suffix" box on the Primary Units tab, but it is not retained when you correctly exit the Dimension Style Manager Dialog Box.

I did note, if you place a Dimension Object within the drawing (with "Display Alternative Units" turned "on" & "Below Primary Value" radio button toggled "on" within the "Alternative Units" tab), then go to the Properties Palette, "\X" is correctly displayed within the "Dim Suffix" area (under the Primary Units heading).

Therefore it would appear AutoCAD 2004 & 2005 handles "\X" slightly differently from earlier versions when being applied under the above conditions. It appears to apply this "automatic / built-in" functionality of "\X" more like a "\P" instead.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

All versions since R14....We use VBA event handlers to take care of setting our Dimension styles and settings, so I never have to adjust things. I just happened to remember the "\X" settings....

That disclaimer aside, you caught me! I forgot one setting in this recipe! Make sure that you have DIMTAD set to Above or the dimension line will be broken between the two dimension strings. The key to this recipe seems to be setting DIMTAD to 1 prior to dimensioning. Updating dimensions after changing this variable will not fix the broken line. But all dimensions placed after setting it in conjunction with the DIMPOST and DIMALT variables.

Works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

What version of AutoCAD did you test this in?

From the testing I carried out, it works fine in AutoCAD 2000i & 2002.

But in AutoCAD 2004 & 2005 it appears not to be honoured correctly.

Within AutoCAD 2004 & 2005 I found you can enter "\X" into the "Suffix" box on the Primary Units tab, but it is not retained when you correctly exit the Dimension Style Manager Dialog Box.

I did note, if you place a Dimension Object within the drawing (with "Display Alternative Units" turned "on" & "Below Primary Value" radio button toggled "on" within the "Alternative Units" tab), then go to the Properties Palette, "\X" is correctly displayed within the "Dim Suffix" area (under the Primary Units heading).

Therefore it would appear AutoCAD 2004 & 2005 handles "\X" slightly differently from earlier versions when being applied under the above conditions. It appears to apply this "automatic / built-in" functionality of "\X" more like a "\P" instead.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richard.binning
    That disclaimer aside, you caught me! I forgot one setting in this recipe! Make sure that you have DIMTAD set to Above or the dimension line will be broken between the two dimension strings. The key to this recipe seems to be setting DIMTAD to 1 prior to dimensioning. Updating dimensions after changing this variable will not fix the broken line. But all dimensions placed after setting it in conjunction with the DIMPOST and DIMALT variables.
    Hi

Test conditions:

Windows XP Pro SP2
    AutoCAD 2005 SP1 + All updates
    All Dimension settings as given by Richard above (Please note these are exactly the same settings I had used in earlier testing).

The behaviour I described in above post is still true under the further testing I have carried out within AutoCAD 2005.

I can not achieve the result of the Alternative Dimension Text below the dimension line within AutoCAD 2005 (and 2004 at work).

I totally agree that in theory it should work, as "\X" shows as the control character being applied / used, but in the testing I have carried out the "\X" acts more like a "\P" control character instead.

I have attached my very simple testing drawing file, please take a look at it and comment on what I am doing incorrectly.

Richard could you please post a sample drawing file that shows Alternative Dimension Text correct placed below the dimension line that was created within AutoCAD 2004 or 2005.

Please note, I have no problem with achieving the correct results within AutoCAD 2000i or 2002.

Have a good one, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2005-03-05 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Correct bad formatting.

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Dual dimensioning in ACAD 2004

Thanks for all your help guys. The only work-around I can come up with is to draw a line thru the dimension line to close the break. If there's anything better out there, please let me know.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Dual dimensioning in ACAD 2004

Hi

Here is an answer that works for AutoCAD 2004 & 2005.

I stumbled across the below snippet today -

<snip>
    2004 introduced a bug (or change) when it comes to dimensions. The placement of alternate units are now above the dimension line. In 2002 it was below. "\X" doesn't help as primary unit suffix. But "\X " works as a workaround, observe the space after the X, change also the placement of the alternate units to be After the primary value.
    </snip>

Above was found here.

Please refer to attached experiment drawing file for further details...

Have a good one, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast