See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autocad 2015 freezing up

Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad 2015 freezing up

We just installed Autocad 2015 in our drafting department. We are using Windows 7 Pro, Dell Computers less than six months old with Intel Xeon CPU 3.10 GHz and 8 GB RAM.
    We are having a lot of trouble with Autocad freezing up. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to open or close a small drawing file. We found that by keeping a drawing file open at all times the problem is somewhat lessened, but it still takes 2 or 3 minutes for a file to open or close. We have had to go back to 2014 for production, until we get this problem sorted out. I have turned off the 3D graphic enhancements on the hardware accelerator but that does not help. Has anyone else had this sort of problem with 2015? We could use some ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 2015 freezing up

Quote Originally Posted by apearson411822 View Post
    We just installed Autocad 2015 in our drafting department. We are using Windows 7 Pro, Dell Computers less than six months old with Intel Xeon CPU 3.10 GHz and 8 GB RAM.
    We are having a lot of trouble with Autocad freezing up. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to open or close a small drawing file. We found that by keeping a drawing file open at all times the problem is somewhat lessened, but it still takes 2 or 3 minutes for a file to open or close. We have had to go back to 2014 for production, until we get this problem sorted out. I have turned off the 3D graphic enhancements on the hardware accelerator but that does not help. Has anyone else had this sort of problem with 2015? We could use some ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks for any feedback in advance.
    Can you tell us anything about your network? Are you opening files from there? If so, if you copy the file to your pc and open it from there, is it faster or the same?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Yes, we are working from the network server. I just copied a file onto my hard drive, and it opened and closed instantly. You seem to have homed right in on the nature of the problem. So, if it's a network issue, how can we resolve it? We have been working from the server with Autocad 2014 without any issues.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Last edited by apearson411822; 2014-04-28 at 03:48 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by apearson411822 View Post
    Yes, we are working from the network server. I just copied a file onto my hard drive, and it opened and closed instantly. You seem to have homed right in on the nature of the problem. So, if it's a network issue, how can we resolve it? We have been working from the server with Autocad 2014 without any issues.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Happy to help. I have experienced similar behavior before, and it was due to connectivity problems.
    IT was doign some infrastructure upgrades and the problem went away (of course, during that, they also accidently switched my connection speed from 100 to 10. ) That was a long time ago, though, maybe AutoCAD 2002, so I don't recall how I checked that speed to discover it.

Hopefully some folks around here with more network experience will be able to chime in.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

The strange part is, Autocad 2014 and all our other applications are working fine. It only seems to affect Autocad 2015. It freezes up not only on opening and closing but also during various commands.

Login to Give a bone

Download and install ProcessMonitor from Microsoft -- that will tell you where adesk if looking, and what it's hanging up on.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

i'm using 2015 as well and have experienced Autocad freezing up during various commands. can't really say which ones though. and when it freezes, sometimes not even ctrl+alt+del will do anything. and i don't get the error message asking if i want to attempt a save, it just exits out of the program.

Login to Give a bone

I have the same problem. Can't figure out any consistency yet. Its not our network either. Something in 2015 or a setting somewhere. Any suggestions from anyone?

Login to Give a bone

I had to turn off hardware acceleration on our computers. Every time we tried to use the Hatch command AutoCAD would hang. Does not seem to have affected performance too much.

Chuck

Login to Give a bone

Tried turning off hardware acceleration, does not seem to make a difference. Turned off the object highlight figuring it was hanging up there to no avail. Can just drag cursor across the screen sometimes and it will hang, other times in a command. Sometimes will go a few hours, other times it will hang up every 3 commands. Upgraded the mother board and added more ram also did not help. Sometimes it will hang for 10 seconds, other times a few minutes. Hasn't crashed since the ram upgrade though but had to manually shut down thru the task manager a few times. Other programs including Revit run fine. Weird, hopefully find a fix soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast