Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card Recommendation - AutoCAD 2014/15

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Graphics Card Recommendation - AutoCAD 2014/15

*bump*

Does anyone have experience running dual-graphics cards for AutoCAD products (Civil 3D specific is even better)?

Unfortunately, I only have apples-oranges comparison here... Multiple users with dual-ATI 1GB cards (configured before I was hired on), versus my single Nvidia Quadro card (which is superior, I feel, particularly since adopting IDSP 2015 over IDSP 2014 last year), however, still presents an issue when all three 24" monitors connected. Grrr.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    *bump*

Does anyone have experience running dual-graphics cards for AutoCAD products (Civil 3D specific is even better)?

Unfortunately, I only have apples-oranges comparison here... Multiple users with dual-ATI 1GB cards (configured before I was hired on), versus my single Nvidia Quadro card (which is superior, I feel, particularly since adopting IDSP 2015 over IDSP 2014 last year), however, still presents an issue when all three 24" monitors connected. Grrr.

Cheers
    Not to answer the question but have you tried a USB-video adaptor? My third monitor is connected to one and it works fine. I probably wouldn't suggest one for video or games but, for office applications, it seems okay.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Not to answer the question but have you tried a USB-video adaptor? My third monitor is connected to one and it works fine. I probably wouldn't suggest one for video or games but, for office applications, it seems okay.
    Hey Jab,

I am not familiar with these, so If I'm missing something, please let me know... Aren't these intended to allow the connection of a secondary, or tertiary monitor when your current hardware does not provide such DVI, etc. connection? *not sure*

My current GC supports 2 x HDMI, and 1 x DVI port, which is how I have my 3 x 24" monitors connected currently. I'm only considering a second graphics card to improve performance, and not to connect additional monitors (3 is enough! Haha).

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

.... single Nvidia Quadro card .... still presents an issue when all three 24" monitors connected.
    What's the issue?
    And what model Quadro?

Thanks.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    What's the issue?
    And what model Quadro?

Thanks.
    No worries, as mentioned in an earlier post; 3GB Nvidia Quadro K4000.

Works great on a single 24" monitor, not too bad on two 24's, but starts to have significant lag when my third 24" monitor is connected... Especially when maximized across all three with multiple model Viewports.

Most of our model drawings can get to be quite large; one recent project's existing surface model got up to 120 MB. I have 32GB RAM, so that's not a real issue per-se.

The project that prompted my original inquiry was not as large (yet), but was still a 1,000 AC site, with roadway widening to state road, greenway expansion, 400 AC of actual site development, 20+ ponds, bridges, public and private amenities, and utilities of course.

I'm inquiring about adding a second graphics card, because I'm after similar performance when expanded to all three 24" monitors. I only have a second 16x PCIe slot available (my current K4000 is taking up the first slot), Tesla cards are cost prohibitive, so a second K4000 seemed logical given how cheap I can get them through Dell.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

.... a second K4000 seemed logical given how cheap I can get them through Dell.
    Define cheap. I'm seeing prices ±$700.
    That's $1400 just in display adapters....
    Our entire workstations are only running us about $2100.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Define cheap. I'm seeing prices ±$700.
    That's $1400 just in display adapters....
    Our entire workstations are only running us about $2100.
    My price on a K4000 using our Dell account is only $550... Less, the more I get for others' workstations, or include in my overall order, etc., and I already have a substantial order pending that includes laptops, and terminal server upgrades to support more simultaneous remote access workload. $2K+ on VC is a drop in the bucket overall.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Thought it prudent to also add....

None of this talk of adding a second VC (NVIDIA Quadro K4000, or otherwise) is 'essential' or to somehow resolve any real issue... I'm simply getting some lag when I introduce a tertiary 24" monitor, and attempt to utilize all of the real-estate.

I've had a terrific first year with my new employer, I fit well with the position(s) I am now responsible for, I'm salary, and am incentivized through quarterly bonuses... In the short time I've been here, we've reduced staff, and increased production by my pulling them all (at the owner's request) tooth and nail, kicking and screaming, from WinXPx86 and Land Desktop 2004 (without the Land component installed, BTW!), to Win8.1x64 (testing Win10x64 TP now) and Civil 3D 2015 with all new hardware.

The owner is thrilled with what I've been able to do, and is kind enough to give me an IT budget to 'keep up the good work'.

If I'm going to make an investment in our production workstations (most procured before I was hired on, unfortunately, as I get Precisions for what they paid for Optiplex!), it ends up being in additional monitors (so we can easily see, or do more side-by-side), which implicitly has a limit based on the display adapters available to each workstation. Since we have so few workstations in total, I can implement a greater net-positive affect on each, given the budget I have.

This (graphics talk), combined with some training (later this year), and automations / customizations, are the only real ways I know for us to quite literally get more work done in the same amount of time... Which at some point, shall reach a limit... but since this company is so new to Civil 3D, and 'current' technologies in general, we've got a lot of growing room.

Cheers

[Edit] - If you have a better suggestion for how I can increase production, please let me know, as I'm not locked into anything at this point (aside from the increased remote access stuff; they love that, like a fat kid loves cake!).
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2015-02-10 at 02:22 PM.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Hey Jab,

I am not familiar with these, so If I'm missing something, please let me know... Aren't these intended to allow the connection of a secondary, or tertiary monitor when your current hardware does not provide such DVI, etc. connection? *not sure*

My current GC supports 2 x HDMI, and 1 x DVI port, which is how I have my 3 x 24" monitors connected currently. I'm only considering a second graphics card to improve performance, and not to connect additional monitors (3 is enough! Haha).

Cheers
    It's not relevant for you then.
    My cards are of the generation that have three outputs of which only two can be used at one time.
    A second card never really worked well so I tried the USB adaptor route and was surprised to find that it worked pretty well.

AYK, I'm retired so I probably won't be upgrading unless something blows up.
    ~Oops, where did that smoke come from?~

Edit - in case anyone else is interested, this is the one I have -
    usb-to-dvi-full-hd-adapter

Login to Give a bone

My cards are of the generation that have three outputs of which only two can be used at one time.
    Yeah, same here with the Quadro 2k cards.

A second card never really worked well so I tried the USB adaptor route and was surprised to find that it worked pretty well.
    We used some of those on some regular PC's that did not have a 2nd output in order to run dual monitors, and the end result was okay, but IIRC, installing and configuring the drivers, etc. was a pain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast