See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defpoints and Layer 0

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Defpoints and Layer 0

Mtext used to be less useful than it is now... at least to me! We use mtext a lot now, and mleaders were an awesome addition. Still use a lot of single line text, but it's necessary in my office.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by magnusonzach View Post
    Wow... ask a simple question about why two layers are inexplicitly linked together, and I get a response of "You're doing it wrong!!"

Thanks.
    As soon as I read the thread title, I knew there was going to be some "interesting" discussions, knowing that this is a hot-button issue.
    I think Tom helped to explain it best.

As others have mentioned, the bottom line is:
    Layer zero is a built in magical layer for creating block line work, and when used proprely, those blocks placed on a layer, take on the properties of that layer.
    (of course there are ByLayer vs ByBlock settings you need to be aware of)

Defpoints is an layer that gets created for "definition points" for dimensions etc, and is not "intended" to be used by Acad users, although we can.

Since AutoCAD 2000 came out, we have had the abilitiy to create "no plot" layers, and so we should and stay away from using Defpoints for viewports, hatch boundaries etc.
    It's just good drafting practice.

So magnusonzach.. don't be offended, we're trying to steer you in the right direction

Login to Give a bone

I'm with you on this. I have my own wish list item call 'Free the Defpoints'. I don't think I'm doing it wrong. Autocad created the defpoints layer, it should be used. I use it for construction linework, notes, boundaries (like your hatch). I will also create a Defpoints-Text, or Defpoints-Striping layer for further clarity, but anything I need for my information only, and not to be visible in the final plot I put on the defpoints layer. Except for it's dependence of layer 0, it's a very handy solution for my purposes. There is no need to be chained down by layer 0...FREE THE DEFPOINTS!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kwdsku View Post
    I'm with you on this. I have my own wish list item call 'Free the Defpoints'. I don't think I'm doing it wrong. Autocad created the defpoints layer, it should be used. I use it for construction linework, notes, boundaries (like your hatch). I will also create a Defpoints-Text, or Defpoints-Striping layer for further clarity, but anything I need for my information only, and not to be visible in the final plot I put on the defpoints layer. Except for it's dependence of layer 0, it's a very handy solution for my purposes. There is no need to be chained down by layer 0...FREE THE DEFPOINTS!
    This is an old thread, but I guarantee your wish to 'free the defpoints' won't be implemented. In a way, this has already been done years ago when they gave us the ability to make ANY layer non-plotting. There is absolutely no need to use the proprietary layer defpoints. The main problem with 0 and defpoints is that it's not good to freeze or lock those layers. But you can do whatever you want with your custom non-plotting layer. To insist on using defpoints is just a habit, not a real need. Change your habit.

The whole idea of creating a layer is to organize entities that are similar. Why would you want to put real world entities on a layer grouped with defpoints? Give it a realistic name. Why add the word defpoints to your layers? Just name it TEXT or STRIPING and then there is no need for 'further clarity' when you don't confuse users in the first place. You may even want to adopt a layer standard, like the AIA standard. It's built into Acad Architecture and Revit and Civil 3D. The standard includes the option for NPLT layer names.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2023-11-21 at 04:16 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    This is an old thread, but I guarantee your wish to 'free the defpoints' won't be implemented. In a way, this has already been done years ago when they gave us the ability to make ANY layer non-plotting. There is absolutely no need to use the proprietary layer defpoints. The main problem with 0 and defpoints is that it's not good to freeze or lock those layers. But you can do whatever you want with your custom non-plotting layer. To insist on using defpoints is just a habit, not a real need. Change your habit.

The whole idea of creating a layer is to organize entities that are similar. Why would you want to put real world entities on a layer grouped with defpoints? Give it a realistic name. Why add the word defpoints to your layers? Just name it TEXT or STRIPING and then there is no need for 'further clarity' when you don't confuse users in the first place. You may even want to adopt a layer standard, like the AIA standard. It's built into Acad Architecture and Revit and Civil 3D. The standard includes the option for NPLT layer names.
    KUDOS for saying it. AUTOCAD created Defpoints layer for a specific purpose for and that's why you have the ability to create your own layers to plot or not as you want. Had a new hire once who refused to follow the company standard of using the NO PLOT layer in the template. I finally had to send him the article and I don't know where it is at the moment and the problems that can created by using machine generated layers for machine purposes and then was given the option follow the company standard or find a new company.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123