Thread: Railings as Egress Paths

Login to Give a bone

Default Railings as Egress Paths

Hi there, I'm trying out the idea of using railings as egress path markers on our code plans. I've created a simple baluster family that is just a vertical model line and a nested annotation symbol (in our case, an arrowhead to indicate direction) on the reference level. The baluster is supposed to show up every 4' along the railing, ideally giving me a line for the rail with arrowheads every 4' in a plan view. When I bring the family into a railing and make the railing, the annotation symbol doesn't show up in plan. Am I missing something? Is this a weird/wrong way to approach this? any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Railings as Egress Paths

You're on the right track. We use railing for egress and it works very well. The only thing I can think of is that your vertical model line is not tall enough. The plan view has to cut through it to show the annotation symbols. (I'd take a look at your family, but I only have 2012.)

You may also want to check out this add-in for when you tag and schedule these egress paths: http://apps.case-inc.com/content/fre...eter-parameter

Login to Give a bone

Hmm, I made the model line almost 6' tall and the annotation symbol still doesn't seem to want to show up- I can't seem to find any thing wrong with the visibility settings either that might make it disappear-

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I’m a residential guy and I’m not using egress paths at all, but it looks like there are some other than railings ways of doing that, better ones (I think).
    http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2007/01/egress-path.html
    http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2012/0...h-options.html

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

So I finally installed 2014 and could check out your family, mcheckis. No dice. I think it is just the generic annotation. You can draw annotation lines directly in the baluster family and it works. You could create an extrusion with an arrow-shaped footprint and keep the railing on a non-visible workset. You could create a Detail Component that is nested into the baluster family and it works, but the nested generic annotation simply doesn't show up.

I've tried the line-based approach. My biggest problem with that approach is that to get the overall length, you need the schedule. You cannot simply tag the path and get a single length, the only value I think is required.

I first wrote about the adaptive component approach here on AUGI (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...=1#post1169122), and it works fairly well. The biggest problem is that the adaptive component can only have a fixed number of points... so a path that requires 3 legs is one family, while a path that requires 4 is a separate family, and 5, 6, or 7 are all separate families. I personally got around this by creating a path with the maximum number of points and just placing the extras at the beginning or end of the path right in a row.

Login to Give a bone

I found the same result when trying to do the same thing in 2014. The disappointing thing is that none of the other objects mentioned will automatically scale with the view scale, which is why I was trying to use the nested Generic Annotation inside the baluster family. So, looks like the solution will be to create a family that can have some different manual types for the scale & create a railing type for each different scale. Thanks for confirming my findings.