Thread: Xrefing drawing that contain data shortcuts - Creates proxy objects

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Xrefing drawing that contain data shortcuts - Creates proxy objects

I'm having problems xrefing in a drawing that contains a data shortcut in Civil 3d 2014. Whenever I xref this drawing, it converts some of the civil 3d objects into the proxy state boxes, and gives me the error that the drawing was created with a newer version of civil 3d.

So far it appears to be only one drawing doing this. The drawing I'm xrefing in contains alignments, & profiles.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happing?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xrefing drawing that contain data shortcuts - Creates proxy objects

Are you using C3D 2014 for everything? or is a vanilla product being used at the last Xref?

Have you run AUDIT on the dwg in question? how about audit on the drawings that are the shortcut source?

Has c3d 2015 touched the drawing at any point?

If you delete the DRefs, and then Xref the drawing into your sheet, what happens?

Login to Give a bone

Civil 3d 2014 is the latest version I have installed and everything is being done in Civil 3d. I can delete and redo the dref's in the drawing with no problems. But once it's xrefed into another sheet they are converted into proxy objects and I get the error.

This problem came up because we are trying a new workflow to help out our satellite offices. The idea being to data shortcut the civil3d objects into basically a place holder drawing and then xref that drawing into what ever sheet you need to display the C3d information. A couple of offices have had success with this workflow increasing drawing performance when accessing our server across the network.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Data shortcuts are just pointers to the drawing where the original information is stored to be used. It sounds to me like the data shortcuts are not being validated or are missing.

The drawings that you are sharing, is there any Civil3D entities in them? Basically the drawing knows something should be there but can't find the information or doesn't understand it so it's creating a proxy image.

Have you tried looking into other ways to share design information like BIM360 or Autodesk360?

Login to Give a bone

I've done some stuff in a similar workflow w/o issues. Perhaps you can put together a sample drawing that contains a Dref, xref it into an empty sheet, and if it exhibits the problem, post those two files so can look at them.