Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Panel Parameter question

Login to Give a bone

Default Door Panel Parameter question

I have placed mutliple panels into a door fram family with yes/no visibility settings. I would like to have a parameter that can define which panel will be selected for the specific family type.

Basically I can set it up so that it works great in the model, but if someone changes the panel type in the schedule I want the panel to change as well in the model. I think I can do this with a formula but cannot figure it out.

Here is an idea of how the parameters are setup..

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...rParameter.jpg
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door Panel Parameter question

Why not do the panel as a nested family and then use a "family type" parameter to set which door panel is used? Maybe I mis-understood the question.

Login to Give a bone

Wow...figured it was something easy....
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Spoke too soon....it still doesn't change when the schedule item is changed.

So what I am looking for is if the door panel type is changed it will change the family type.
    Michael "MP" Patrick

Login to Give a bone

I don't think you can't drive the change up like that. You might have to create differnt type in your family using different panels and the family type parameter. So the user would select the correct type and the panel changes, not the other way around.

Login to Give a bone

From looking at your JPG, it appears DA_Door_Panel_Type is a family type parameter linking which would be a drop down list of the loaded panel types.

Without playing with the actually family to test, you need to make sure you've connected the individual panel family objects to the specific Yes/No parameter under its' element properties (right click on family).

I don't see any IF statements under your Yes/No parameters checking the value of DA_Door_Panel_Type to toggle themselves to either Yes/No.

If you want your users to be able to click on the checkboxes of the Yes/No paramaters, you would need your formula behind DA_Door_Panel_Type with a nested IF statement checking which Yes/No is turned on.

That's all my guesses based on not seeing the family.

--Jim

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    Spoke too soon....it still doesn't change when the schedule item is changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    I don't think you can't drive the change up like that. You might have to create differnt type in your family using different panels and the family type parameter. So the user would select the correct type and the panel changes, not the other way around.
    Michael and Jeff,

If you check the "Share" option under Family and Category Parameters before nesting the families, you still can use the Family type selector and when loaded into the project, be able to schedule it and change the panels from the schedule itself if you want.

You can even, using one family with different nested panels, tag them differently, when shared.

Andre Carvalho

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    ...I would like to have a parameter that can define which panel will be selected for the specific family type...
    Have a look at the attached project file which does what I think you are describing. The key is a shared parameter that permits the family and the project to know what you want to do when you switch the panel assignment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Steve,

I am in the process of improving on our door library and scheduling abilities. In reverse-engineering your file, I have some questions.

How might you suggest auto-scheduling door types in this manner if the designation were A, B, C, D..? It seems that the method you show in your file pick up on the name of the nested family. In lieu of renaming my door panel families A, B, C, D..., or Panel 1, Panel 2, Panel 3..., which do not have much meaning, how would you recommend handling this.

The other thing I noticed was if you have door panels with instance parameters (ie. stile, rail, mid-rails...) and you lock them to parameters to the door family, Revit gives you an error message that says it cannot apply the parameter when the panels are switched.

Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2008-04-01 at 08:47 PM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jcoe View Post
    ...In lieu of renaming my door panel families A, B, C, D..., or Panel 1, Panel 2, Panel 3..., which do not have much meaning, how would you recommend handling this...
    As you say, renaming them A, B, C...is the easiest. If they are in a folder called Nested Door Panels it is at least easier to understand what they are for in a folder since they are normally installed in the host door family already. As for doing it differently...the Family Type kind of parameter is particular inflexible to using conditional statement to evaluate the type in use. So there really aren't options if you choose to go this route. You've probably read Aaron Rumple's rationale for the doors process he uses at his firm? You might want to review it if you haven't. I'll see if I can track down a link to the thread tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoe View Post
    ...The other thing I noticed was if you have door panels with instance parameters (ie. stile, rail, mid-rails...) and you lock them to parameters to the door family, Revit gives you an error message that says it cannot apply the parameter when the panels are switched...
    Revit will be more tolerant if you don't "connect" the instance parameters to another parameter value. Instead align and lock the reference planes of the nested panel to those in the host.

Panels that don't have all the same features can get quite upset, which upsets Revit, if you have a different door type and panel in use that supplies an inappropriate value for the "unused" but still very present nested panel(s).

It is also a good idea to make sure all your panels flex the same way...either all from one side out or all from center out so locking in reference planes doesn't confuse Revit when switching between panels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast