Thread: Tactic, for unnecessary changes?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Tactic, for unnecessary changes?

hhhhhhh sometimes I need to use this tactic, especially when you get a poor communications between disciplines and each groups competing to finish the design earlier.

I'm working in big consulting company, and I'm interested to hear what you have to do in this case?

Also, what (CAD monkey) meaning?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tactic, for unnecessary changes?

CAD monkey is a self deprecating term - meaning a monkey could do this job.

Surprisingly the comic is quite fitting in my case. I'm rather good at procrastinating and on numerous occasions a job was stopped just before I begin work.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by duhvinci View Post
    CAD monkey is a self deprecating term - meaning a monkey could do this job.

Surprisingly the comic is quite fitting in my case. I'm rather good at procrastinating and on numerous occasions a job was stopped just before I begin work.
    There are two sides to that coin. Most projects, in my case, were only delayed, not cancelled entirely. I had a rack of drawing markups and a folder of CAD files dedicated to 'on hold' projects. Sometimes when I had spare time, I'd work on them, and, sure enough, 2-3 years later, they'd bring it up as if it were new again, ask for starter sheets to mark up, and I'd hand them their own markups from the previous time. I am NOT about to redo work myself, and it would be a waste to allow them to as well.
    The worst one, I started in 2001, and it cycled back up every 2-3 years. The last iteration from 2012 is being used for reference, but, the project itself was considered cost&time-prohibitive, so they built elsewhere.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I cannot say I have ever intentionally done that, most likely because my experience has been that even when working at the last minute (unintentionally), I would still get requests for changes. I get more than enough stress from the situations that arise despite my best efforts; I do not need to add more by intentionally waiting for the deadline to arrive.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Best handled at the supervisor level with those experienced with scheduling. Trying to do this at lower levels without the authority, experience, or relevant information can backfire badly for both the user and employer.

Login to Give a bone

easy, reject the change. This amendment does not add value.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    easy, reject the change. This amendment does not add value.
    that opinion depends on who's signing and sealing the drawings. What Joe Drafter sees as unnecessary, Jane PE sees as critical. And when it's her license and professional liability on the line..... it's her opinion that rules.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    that opinion depends on who's signing and sealing the drawings. What Joe Drafter sees as unnecessary, Jane PE sees as critical. And when it's her license and professional liability on the line..... it's her opinion that rules.
    That can often be the case, but I have just as often known experienced CAD techs dealing with green bachelors Engineers; and it is the CAD Tech who's picking up the faults and problems.

Login to Give a bone

I'll go along with that. it's part of the job of experienced designers to mentor junior engineers -- even those who are prickly about their green-as-grass BS diploma.

but -- that doesn't change the liability issue. If I'm not the one by law putting my professional liability on the line, then the signing party has to have final control over the legal, contract drawings. If Jane PE is calling for something that appears useless/counter productive, Joe Drafter can discusss it, but that's as far as he can or should go. "Refusing" to do it on the direction of the signing professional, is a firing offense. And I'd cheerilyy help his rear end out the door with my boot.

In the consulting engineering world with PEs, PLSMs, RA, etc, there a legally mandated responsibilities. dunno about widgets