Thread: One family parameter has formula one has none

Login to Give a bone

Default One family parameter has formula one has none

Can i have a formula driven value in one family's parameter and then swap that family to another similar family with the same parameter but without the restrictions from the formula?

Basically, i would like to pre-calculate intervals based on height but then have the freedom to swap families at the project level and the pre-calculated values would pass to the new family as values and not formula. Kinda like, Paste Special -> Values...

Thank you,

Timothy Livingston

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One family parameter has formula one has none

I have a feeling that Revit will just use the default value of the non restricted family instead of carrying over the calculated one, since the parameters are not functioning the same way.
    Might be worth doing a simple test family to try it though.

KCO

Login to Give a bone

Yes, Revit is using the default value from the non restricted family every time I swap them. Is there a way (reporting parameter, adding a "type", etc.) ?

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry Tim, but I don't know of any way in the family editor to take a calculated value and make it a manually editable value, if that's what you're wanting to do.
    When you swap families the parameters have to be exactly the same in both families or the values will be lost.

Login to Give a bone

I have two families, Identical in every way except, in one family I have a Shared Parameter without a formula. Second family I have the same Shared parameter with a formula.
    We have mechanical attachments that may need to move up or down, depending on conditions. My formula is to set our top attachment based on height (Panel Height - 6 1/2").
    but still be able to swap to a family that enables movement of top attachment if needed but still start with the value set in the formula.

I have attached screen shots of Panel A and Panel B

ANY help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Timothy Livingston

Panel A vs Panel B.docxPanel A vs Panel B.docx

Login to Give a bone

The families are not identical because one is formula driven and the other is not. Swapping isn't going to work.
    This may be a dumb question since I don't fully understand the application of your family, but could you simply add an adjustment parameter in the formula driven family so you can change the value if needed?
    Just let it be 0'-0" for default and add it to your formula. You can then just enter a positive or negative length to adjust it if need be.

Login to Give a bone

If you want to be able to swap the panels, you'll need to create a host family with the formula, and then create a <family type...> parameter, load the 2 panel families and link their parameters to the formula.
    You'll be able to swap the families with the parameter and both will be formula driven.

Login to Give a bone

Really, I just need to have a formula driven value that can be edited if needed.
    Right now I just have a formula to make it visible and if visible take the panel height and minus 6 1/2". Meaning if(Top Channel, Panel Height - 6 1/2" , 0").
    My problem is in the false statement of the if. I am not sure how to allow for a manual adjustment when I am limited to the 0". In the project, this field is greyed out.

I can attach my family if requested.

Thank you all.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timl.41444 View Post
    Really, I just need to have a formula driven value that can be edited if needed.
    You can't directly edit a formula driven parameter. It will always be greyed out in the project.
    All you need to do is create a new parameter called "Custom Height" or something like that in your formula driven family. Let the default value be 0".
    Then plug this into your IF statement:
    if(Top Channel, Panel Height - 6 1/2" , Custom Height)
    Just edit the Custom Height parameter if needed. No need for swapping families.