See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Can't specify which Autodesk product opens DWG files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can't specify which Autodesk product opens DWG files

I have AutoCAD 2015 & AutoCAD 2015 P&ID installed on my machine. I installed P&ID last, and now it opens DWG files any time that I double click on them in Windows Explorer. I have gone into Windows Explorer, looked at the file properties, and browsed to the acad.exe file, in order to associate the files with AutoCAD 2015, however they continue to open in P&ID.

Any ideas guys/gals? Eventually we'll roll P&ID out to everyone else and I don't want to have to uninstall AutoCAD, install P&ID, and then reinstall AutoCAD.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't specify which Autodesk product opens DWG files

When you double click on a file, it opens with the last profile that was used. The surest way to control which app it uses is to just use the OPEN command inside acad.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Life was easy when you were only dealing with AutoCAD. Maybe a user profile, some customization to make life easy. You were always working in the same program with the same settings. Now you've moved into the realm of vertical and third-party products, all of which use DWG files, and there's no way for Windows to externally tell which DWG is set up for which application, or which client/project settings to use within each program

When you are dealing with specific applications, its best to start the program first. Opening something like a Civil3D model in P&ID (or vice versa) can have disastrous consequences. Since you have P&ID chances are you're going to be dealing with a host of other DWG-handling software as well such as Plant3D or other plant design software, ProStructures or other structural design software, Inventor or Mechanical, Navisworks, AutoCAD Electrical or other electrical design software.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by swood675888 View Post
    I have AutoCAD 2015 & AutoCAD 2015 P&ID installed on my machine. I installed P&ID last, and now it opens DWG files any time that I double click on them in Windows Explorer. I have gone into Windows Explorer, looked at the file properties, and browsed to the acad.exe file, in order to associate the files with AutoCAD 2015, however they continue to open in P&ID.

Any ideas guys/gals? Eventually we'll roll P&ID out to everyone else and I don't want to have to uninstall AutoCAD, install P&ID, and then reinstall AutoCAD.

Thanks!
    Psssh, I've never found it practical to use the Open command with the way we work

You can always drag/drop the file from explorer to the desired program.

The DWG launcher controls the rest... If you're not afraid of a bit of registry editing, try here: http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/...igged-out-fix/
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I would like to understand processes when launching a DWG file. First, If launched from a desktop short cut that has a profile as part of the short cut. Second part of this is what happens when the mime type has been changed to have the profile added to the registry. Third part of this is what specifically does the DWG Application Launcher do when the mine type has it set to use. I'm assuming the double picking file or dragging is using the mine type and last profile. I'm looking for ways to insure that the profile is used.