Thread: refer to linked view - dimension+ text orientation

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default refer to linked view - dimension+ text orientation

I have a project that consists of a side-by-side duplexes, and much like my townhouse project setup, I have each side of the duplex as its' own project (what I call the 'unit type file'), and link these into a larger 'block files'.
    (The 'duplex capture 2' image shows the unit type file on the left, with the callout being the enlarged plan; and the block file on the right with the callout being the floor plan)

In both the townhouses and duplexes, I create 'enlarged plans' (1/4" scale) in the unit type file to minimize the work involved when changes occur. This works fine in my townhouse setup where I never flip the enlarged plan to match the orientation in the overall block. I simply put a note on the drawings saying "there may be multiple instances of each enlarged plan and that they may be mirrored. please refer to block plans" (1/8" scale).

Because the scale of the duplex doesn't really require a block plan, to create the floor plans, I reference the linked view of the enlarged plan in the unit type file. The issue I am running into is that depending on the configuration of the duplex, I have to flip/mirror the linked instance. This affects the justification of the text and the direction the dimensions face. I thought I could change the dimensions style from 'up then left' to 'up then right' , but this will only flip flop my issue. In the attached 'duplex capture' image, you can see the right half of the duplex everything is facing the wrong way. I can live with the text justification being off, but the dimensions bug me too much

Is there something that controls this in my 'block file'? Or does referring to a linked view tie my hands in this regard. Anything I could do in the unit type file to fix this? Other than duplicate a bunch of dimension styles or views.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: refer to linked view - dimension+ text orientation

Im not sure i fully understood but if you are linking by view then no you have no control over the annotations.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: refer to linked view - dimension+ text orientation

^Agree

Just to clarify...

Revit File 1 = Unit Files (Type A, Type B, etc....)
    Revit File 2 = Master file (all above units loaded and oriented correctly)

It would appear that you have annotated in RVT1, is that correct?

Typically, when using multiple linked files in a master scenario like this, annotation should only exist in a single file (master) for two reasons. One, you only need to open one file to make edits, can get confusing with multiple people in multiple files editing text/dims/etc. Two, you don't run into flipped/mirrored issues similar to what you are having.