Thread: Revit Warnings - good types, bad types, issues

Login to Give a bone

Question Revit Warnings - good types, bad types, issues

I'm still on 2014 but I'd have the same question for 2015.
    I've heard a rule of thumb before that the number of warnings in a revit file should be limited to 1 per MB. So in trying to play by that rule, I've been looking very hard at what errors/warning I can resolve easily and which ones I may let go.
    First question. Is there a list anywhere that show something like the order of importance of warnings to help you figure out which ones should be fixed first.
    ie Is it better to spend the time first to delete duplicate objects before you remove redundant rooms for example. Currently I'm having an issue with objects that have duplicate mark values (both mark and type mark). I have about 150 of those in a model that's about 275mb. I've got about 300 more that involve room separation lines overlapping themselves or walls and revit wants to ignore one. And then I have the "Highlighted walls overlap" warnings. I know what they were from. I have someone that loves groups and made a bunch of them and there's parts of a common wall within the group. Ungroup them and clean up all the walls, these go away. And then you get the "slightly off-axis" warnings. I wish there was something that would allow a user to simply check a box when that warning comes up that says "Nope, it's not off-axis, that is what it is."
    So that's what I'm trying to figure out, what should I clean up first.
    Second question, should I really care about the number of warnings in a model?
    Thanks in advance.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Warnings - good types, bad types, issues

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    ...I've heard a rule of thumb before that the number of warnings in a revit file should be limited to 1 per MB...
    Haha, that's funny. Sorry that's a first for me. If find it amusing that people are always so desperate to tie decisions back to file size. I've been cleaning up a few pretty heavy models lately and I've gotten most of them to zero warnings. There are some things that require redesign to eliminate sometimes, like a poorly made family or modeling approach.

In general I focus on resolving warnings with this priority, things that affect... (always striving for as few as possible)

Calculations - Rooms/Spaces/areas & wall/boundary errors (can have a direct impact on performance)
    Accuracy - Duplication (multiple elements in the same place)
    Documentation - Type Marks/Marks/tagging accuracy

A team needs to know they exist and why they are there. If they don't then that's the first problem. If they do then maybe the current state of the project explains their presence, such as when a design changes. A project with a 1,000+ warnings might just be in the middle of a complete overhaul of the design or it might just be some really sloppy work.

If the team is aware of them and keeping track of them then they shouldn't turn into thousands of errors that negatively affect the project. Ideally a project should have as few warnings as possible.

Login to Give a bone

I've started this one with 1,500+ warnings and I'm down to 700.
    There's no overhaul here. It's inexperience and lack of someone with real knowledge to explain it, not being on the project.
    I'd like to get it down to 100 or less, but that's going to require me to delete things that really can't be deleted and would end having the same error as the previous object.
    So what your saying it don't really worry to much about warnings as far as model size (I didn't really believe the reseller when he told us that, but hey it was the first I've heard much about it). In the structural world, I don't think I ever bothered with even looking at them. "line or brace is slightly off axis". I know it is, the building has a curve and I cut into segments.
    But here I'm dealing with room separation lines the overlap with room separation lines and walls and being off axis. The main issue is when people draw them, they forget about them. Or they have them on the "new construction phase" and they're looking at the 3rd phase in the project (where that line hasn't yet been created).
    My team right now seems to just be in the practice of ignore the warning, as long as the model still opens and closes, it's just fine.
    Thanks for the answer to the burning question.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, room separation lines are not band-aids to fix room area issues but unfortunately many users seem to think they are. I find that many times the room separation lines can be deleted without consequence because they were used to fix something that got resolved when the design settle down but they never went back to review them. Some people have a 3D view set to just show room separation lines to help get a sense of how many are in play and to help reinforce that there ordinarily shouldn't be many.

As I mentioned before Revit calculations are labor intensive for the PC. Any warnings we can eliminate that prevent Revit from trying to figure out if it can resolve the area or volume of a room/space/area before moving on the the next one the better!