Thread: Revit Materials - Text - ALL CAPS

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Materials - Text - ALL CAPS

I believe the standard CAD convention for text in drawings is all CAPS for almost everyone. Yet Revit's material library uses upper//lower case for all of the material identity data and I don't see any way to change this in Revit.

Editing this information on every library is not a good option. I would assume that that this information can be edited in the library file. Is this possible and where would the file be located?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Materials - Text - ALL CAPS

Quote Originally Posted by wmullett View Post
    I believe the standard CAD convention for text in drawings is all CAPS for almost everyone.
    Hi,

Not everyone is using CAPS.

Anyway, there is no separate library file. All material information (except textures) is saved in the Revit project/family file.
    Probably you would be able to pull out this data to edit with Revit DB link, but I'm not sure if it would work only with materials applied to objects in the file.

Login to Give a bone

I'm sorry maciejw but your answer has to be incorrect.

There are multiple libraries available to every project. As far as I can find, the texture maps, thermal and structural data are available in the *.adsklib files as stated in the HELP "...The *.adsk library file is typically located here by default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\<product version>...." But there also has to be an initial identity file which is available when you access the other libraries. That is the file I am looking for.

I do understand that once a material is in the project (or initially the template), that identity data is controlled by and will be in the project.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you are referring to the information you see in a Material tag, that is usually the Description parameter associated with the material. You can change that anytime you want. Material libraries are stored locally so it is a hassle keeping that dispersed well but that's a task and strategy for IT and BIM support to wrangle with ideally. The name of the material in the material dialog doesn't generally manifest itself in documents. The parameters that appear on the Identity tab in the materials dialog are what people usually are using in tags and those can all be upper case if you prefer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wmullett View Post
    I'm sorry maciejw but your answer has to be incorrect.

There are multiple libraries available to every project. As far as I can find, the texture maps, thermal and structural data are available in the *.adsklib files as stated in the HELP "...The *.adsk library file is typically located here by default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\<product version>...." But there also has to be an initial identity file which is available when you access the other libraries. That is the file I am looking for.

I do understand that once a material is in the project (or initially the template), that identity data is controlled by and will be in the project.
    Hi,

Sorry I did not understand what you meant about the Revit library.
    The AEC Materials libraries, can be edited, by editing the *.xlf files that are in the same folder.
    But it would be opening a can of worms. For example, the class descriptions are located in these files and if edited, would affect the class description globally in the Revit file. This could and probably would cause nightmares with file exchange with consultants. You would need to send them these files with the Revit file to avoid errors and to ensure consistency of the information in the model.
    And also as Steve said, a massive headache for the IT/BIM department.

Also, I'd suggest leaving Autodesk & AEC libraries as they are, and apply your company standard with CAPS for any Description, etc... to any edited or authored material so you can easily distinguish them, which definitely helps with QA.

Login to Give a bone

Steve - What do you mean by this: "The parameters that appear on the Identity tab in the materials dialog are what people usually are using in tags and those can all be upper case if you prefer." ? Perhaps you miss-phrased your answer as it implies it could be a setting. I see no way to set this except by editing every library element. We currently do that for materials that we edit or create but that process is inadequate.

I absolutely don't understand why these files are on the users system rather than a network location. I assume that it is only a convenience for sharing between autodesk products (when/if they do share). Managing these would be problematic but only from an initial installation.

I'm currently looking for an arial all caps font. The easiest solution if I can find one.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Entering upper case into the description field for a material is a setting, a parameter value. Yes you need to enter data (see image) you want into all the fields you intend to use. The descriptions for the stock materials probably aren't satisfactory either so we end up editing them regardless. In that sense it's not harder to make it all upper case while we're at it.

Material information is stored in the project, per project. Projects start with a template. Get your template(s) sorted out well during implementation and the material data is already prepared.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2014-08-04 at 09:45 PM.