See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Display Corruption

Login to Give a bone

Default Display Corruption

Hi

I've had a display problem come up a couple of times on different projects, at different companies and with different users. It seems to be a corruption but I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it. In elevation or section, floor slabs, walls, some casework elements and plumbing fixtures show through the wall that they are behind.

I’ve checked:
    All the usual Display settings - (the views are not set to wireframe)
    Transparency of wall (element&category) – material – filters
    I’ve swapped out wall types
    Deleted the wall and redrawn it using a different type
    I’ve applied view template (revit default Arch Section)
    I’ve tried to “remove Hidden Lines”
    Checked that its not the Linework tool thats been applied
    I duplicated the view (no detailing)
    I drew in a new section (telling me it’s a model problem – not a view problem)
    I linked the file into a blank new project – The elevation then shows correctly – but binding the link brings back the problem
    I’ve transferred project standards from the Default Architecture Template – and selected to overwrite everything - no luck
    I grouped the building and converted it into a link - didn't fix it
    I deleted the building and then linked in a copy of the file (hoping to replicate what happened when I linked it into a new blank project) - that didn't work

Has anyone out there had something similar - its not the easiest problem to Google either!!

Thanks (I'm really hoping) in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Display Corruption

Have you checked the transparency settings? Click the visual style icon on the bottom of the screen (where you find the wire frame, hidden line, shaded settings. At the top is graphic display options. There is a slider for transparency.

Also there is a common modeling error that can cause the type of error you describe. 3D objects should not penetrate other 3D objects. For example take a four story building, 4 floors and a roof. Add columns on the first floor, but run them all the way up to the roof, penetrating the floor slabs. This will never look right in a 3D view. Instead, you should break the columns at each floor, four columns total.

Login to Give a bone

Incorrect display.JPGCorrect Display.JPGIncorrect display.JPGCorrect Display.JPG

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply - but no its not the transparency setting - that would have been solved by applying a view template and also the transparency setting is view specific. I have the same graphic problem when I create a completely new view (section/elevation) looking at the same place.

I've attached 2 images - the "incorrect" one is how its displaying in the project - the "correct" one is how it displays when linked into a brand new blank project. According to all the visibility settings it should display like the "correct" image but it doesn't.

I don't think its a modelling error - the floor boundaries are on the internal edge of the wall and even when I pull that boundary further away it still shows through the wall

Login to Give a bone

Make sure your video card drivers are up to date....and of course Revit is too...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

I've had a similar problem a few years ago. Echo cdatechguy, update your drivers.

Login to Give a bone

Hi All

Thanks - but still no cigar - Graphic Drivers are all up to date - Revit is all up to date. Also the problem is specific to one project. If it was drivers wouldn't the problem be happening in all projects?

My suggested work around for the time being is to recreate the offending views in a brand New project with the old project linked into it. It'll be a bit tricky juggling betwenn projects and remembering which views are in which file. Many views have been set up already - otherwise I would recommend have all the views in one file and only the model elements in the old file. I am slowly drawing the conclusion that the whole thing may need to be remodelled...but I'm hoping someone somewhere will have a genius moment

And maybe Autodesk support will come back with something.........

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Display Corruption

Autodesk support did come back with an Answer!! Yay - So the problem was an offending Dwg thats extents were greater than 20 miles. Apparently if the project extents go over the 20 mile limit it causes display issues. I tested on another clients project who was having the same problem and yes there it was another sneaky dwg....

The lesson is make sure you clean up your dwg's properly before linking them into Revit!

Thanks Chris Aquino at Autodesk Support