See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: changing X-Ref relative path hierarchy

Login to Give a bone

Default changing X-Ref relative path hierarchy

my company's folder structure has me changing an X'Ref'ed border from being attached as relative path (.\path) to (..\path) meaning that instead of the border being in the same directory to up one level then to follow the folder structure.
    what I want to know is, is there a way to set the drawing border as Relative Path in the Template file without having to redefine the border path when it is saved to another folder..
    I am not sure if this is clear enough but I hope someone here can help me out.

maybe this link will help to show what I am dealing with

thank you, Eric

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: changing X-Ref relative path hierarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_Erickson View Post
    my company's folder structure has me changing an X'Ref'ed border from being attached as relative path (.\path) to (..\path) meaning that instead of the border being in the same directory to up one level then to follow the folder structure.
    what I want to know is, is there a way to set the drawing border as Relative Path in the Template file without having to redefine the border path when it is saved to another folder..
    I am not sure if this is clear enough but I hope someone here can help me out.

maybe this link will help to show what I am dealing with
    Welcome to AUGI!

Reference your title block, and just use Reference Manager to modify the path in your template, and any other drawings to be relative path. Lemon squeezy.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Welcome to AUGI!

Reference your title block, and just use Reference Manager to modify the path in your template, and any other drawings to be relative path. Lemon squeezy.

HTH
    Well, I certainly appreciate the response but that wasn't what I was asking.
    The template and it's x'ref'd border are in the same directory (x'ref'd path = ./path)
    Work in progress folders are up one level in the directory structure so the relative path to the x'ref'd border becomes (../path)

So I want to know if I can define the x'ref path in the template to already have the ../path structure in the template instead of having to modify it after the working drawing file is created.
    I did look at using the Reference Manager and I don't see that it can do what I need.

Click on the link in my first post and have a look at the chart in the section labeled "Specify a Relative Path".

thanks a lot!
    Eric

Login to Give a bone

Well, I certainly appreciate the response but that wasn't what I was asking.

The template and it's x'ref'd border are in the same directory (x'ref'd path = ./path). Work in progress folders are up one level in the directory structure so the relative path to the x'ref'd border becomes (../path).

So I want to know if I can define the x'ref path in the template to already have the ../path structure in the template instead of having to modify it after the working drawing file is created.

I did look at using the Reference Manager and I don't see that it can do what I need.

Click on the link in my first post and have a look at the chart in the section labeled "Specify a Relative Path".
    Eric,

I'm not sure what quantifies taking a look at reference manager, but you are mistaken.

There are two solutions to your issue, that preclude the need to modify relative path after work in progress drawings are created - 1) move your template to a location such that your border's relative path is accurate, 2) use reference manager to modify the relative path of your template's border reference.

Good luck!

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Just like I said, friend. I opened Reference Manager and tried to modify the path using it. But that obviously would not work while both files were in the same directory.
    However, your method 1) did work. I basically created the template file at the level of the working directory, attached the border via relative path to the template's directory, saved the template at the working directory level, then moved the template to the border's directory.

That did work. Thank you.

Eric,

I'm not sure what quantifies taking a look at reference manager, but you are mistaken.

There are two solutions to your issue, that preclude the need to modify relative path after work in progress drawings are created - 1) move your template to a location such that your border's relative path is accurate, 2) use reference manager to modify the relative path of your template's border reference.

Good luck!

Login to Give a bone

Just like I said, friend. I opened Reference Manager and tried to modify the path using it. But that obviously would not work while both files were in the same directory.
    You're killin' me, smalls.

Given a co-located externally referenced drawing, and drawing template (which hosts said reference) in the ..\template\ folder, open Reference Manager, Add your drawing template, click Edit Selected Paths button, change relative path from "." to "..\template\", select OK button, then select Apply Changes button. Lemon squeezy.

Here's a quick video demonstration, and a screenshot of the resultant successful change to external reference's saved file path in drawing template:

augi.reference.manager.sample.for.eric.png

However, your method 1) did work. I basically created the template file at the level of the working directory, attached the border via relative path to the template's directory, saved the template at the working directory level, then moved the template to the border's directory.

That did work. Thank you.
    This method just takes longer to yield the same result; no difference otherwise.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-08-15 at 02:41 PM.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

You're killin' me, smalls.
    BWAHAHAHAHAH!! Good one

okey, doke. you proved me wrong. I have only used the Ref Man a few times. Though, i seem to be one of the only users around the company that are even aware it exists.
    Well, I am always eager to learn new things and grateful to those who take time to teach. I do try and pass along what I have learned too, returning the favor.

thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

BWAHAHAHAHAH!! Good one

okey, doke. you proved me wrong. I have only used the Ref Man a few times. Though, i seem to be one of the only users around the company that are even aware it exists.

Well, I am always eager to learn new things and grateful to those who take time to teach. I do try and pass along what I have learned too, returning the favor.

thanks again!
    *Tips hat* I appreciate your having a good sense of humor, my friend... You're going to do just fine here.

I do a lot of custom code, so it's a rarity that I can recommend the built-in means by which to perform a given 'special' task such as this.

To make reference manager more 'accessible' so-to-speak, this may be of use to you, and your coworkers:

Code:
    (vl-load-com)

(defun c:REFMAN () (c:ReferenceManager))
    (defun c:ReferenceManager (/ vrsn file)
      (princ "\rREFERENCEMANAGER ")
      (if
        (and
          (setq vrsn
                 (cond
                   ((vl-string-search "20.0" (setq vrsn (getvar 'acadver)))
                    "2015"
                   )
                   ((vl-string-search "19.1" vrsn) "2014")
                   ((vl-string-search "19.0" vrsn) "2013")
                   ((vl-string-search "18.2" vrsn) "2012")
                   ((vl-string-search "18.1" vrsn) "2011")
                   ((vl-string-search "18.0" vrsn) "2010")
                   ((vl-string-search "17.2" vrsn) "2009")
                   ((vl-string-search "17.1" vrsn) "2008")
                   ((vl-string-search "17.0" vrsn) "2007")
                   ((vl-string-search "16.2" vrsn) "2006")
                   ((vl-string-search "16.1" vrsn) "2005")
                   ((vl-string-search "16.0" vrsn) "2004")
                   ((vl-string-search "15.06" vrsn) "2002")
                   ((vl-string-search "15.05" vrsn) "2000i")
                 )
          )
          (setq file
                 (findfile
                   (strcat
                     (vl-registry-read
                       (strcat "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\"
                               (if vlax-user-product-key                    ; If 2013+
                                 (vlax-user-product-key)                    ; Use new function
                                 (vlax-product-key)                         ; Use legacy function
                               )
                       )
                       "ACADLOCATION"
                     )
                     "\\AdRefMan.exe"
                   )
                 )
          )
          (princ (strcat "\n... Opening \"Reference Manager\" for " vrsn))
        )
         (startapp "explorer" file)
         (prompt "\n** File not found ** ")
      )
      (princ)
    )

Cheers

Computer Specs: