See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Importing Tool Palettes

Login to Give a bone

Angry Importing Tool Palettes

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install some new tool palettes and when I go to the customize screen and right click any existing tool palette to get the option of "Import...", no such exists...

I have seen tutorials, help menus, etc. and it seems that everyone can right click to get the import option except me... What am I doing wrong?

I have tried this in AutoCAD MEP 2012, 2013, 2014 with the same result. I have opened them as administrator and even tried to find other ways around this.

Can someone help a bloke out here? Thanks in advance!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing Tool Palettes

Certain vertical AutoCAD products include "project settings" which can affect tool palettes. I'd suggest checking boards dedicated to your appropriate product, rather than the general AutoCAD one, as those users will have a much better understanding of such nuances.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Certain vertical AutoCAD products include "project settings" which can affect tool palettes. I'd suggest checking boards dedicated to your appropriate product, rather than the general AutoCAD one, as those users will have a much better understanding of such nuances.
    I'll go ahead and move it over to the MEP forum, and hopefully someone there can provide insight.
    Thanks.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

AMEP is built on top of ACA, so I assume they treat tool palettes the same way. ACA and AMEP have enhanced tools that vanilla AutoCAD does not have, and, I have been told, these tools do not work with the vanilla AutoCAD Export/Import feature for tool palettes. Instead, Content Browser and Tool Catalogs are provided as the means of sharing tool palettes and tools.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Dave.

I purchased some symbols from a standards company recently and they came as .xtp and .xpg file extensions... will we somehow have to convert those to the .atc file extension type so that we can utilize the content tool method that you alluded to?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Login to Give a bone

If you run AMEP using an "as AutoCAD" profile, the ARX modules for AMEP will not load and you should have access to the AutoCAD tool palette import feature. Once you have the palettes imported into a local workspace, you should then be able to launch AMEP "as itself" and still have access to those tool palettes. You could then launch Content Browser and add those palettes to a tool catalog.