See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Weird problem with capital file names

Login to Give a bone

Default Weird problem with capital file names

Working on AutoCAD 2013 LT on Windows 7 with visualization (Parallels) on a macbook pro.
    I have a weird problem with filenames in capital characters Open and save the file works lik a charm. If I xref a file with a name in capital characters it works great, open xref in place works great but if I choose open Xref somewhere it's going wrong. AutoCAD opens the Xref in small characters (in see this in on top of the AutoCAD screen), If I save this file, AutoCAD save the file in small characters. Do anyone know how AutoCAD handles the files?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Weird problem with capital file names

Acad is case-insentive. WOW, WoW, and wow, are all the same thing to Acad. The Windows NT Filesystem is case-preserving, but still insensitive. Unix files systems, such as found on a Mac, are case-sensitive. What conversions between the two different schemes that Parallels implements is the unknown, but sounds like it's using lower-case characters only, and using a case-preserving trick to display upper case names.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2014-08-26 at 03:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

...and to add to that, at one point in time we installed a NAS/SAN for DWG file storage (to keep this conversation simple, just know that at some level of this thing there was some sort of unix controller involved) and what you described was only one of the problems we encountered. We could save a file, close it, and open it back up and the changes were gone, we had issues with the Sheet Set Manager, etc. Personally I think the unix in this thing was keeping multiple copies of the files and when the O/S went to retrieve a file there was about a 50/50 chance of getting the true last saved file... Long story short, we had to undo all of that and put the files on a pure MS Windows server system to restore normal operations.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Ok thanks. I had not think about these case sensitive problem. But know it make sense indeed. Unfortunately we are all using mac systems over here and for the storage we use linux servers. I have encountered this problem for the first time and only this problem. Thank god I have not the problems you have rkmcswain . But I have been warned now.

Maybe I could test an other connection in windows. Now I am connected with the (linux) server with samba directly from windows (with own IP). But I could try connect through parallels.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marcoton411459 View Post
    Unfortunately we are all using mac systems over here
    Why don't you use AutoCAD LT for Mac then? Just curious.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

I love to, but many commands aren't working yet in the AutoCAD mac version. That's why we don't use the mac version. In my opinion is the interface much better then the windows version but it's not working ideal. In the attachment a overview of the differences between the mac en windows version. Sorry some words are in Dutch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Well, you might want to look at BricsCAD from Bricsys and Ares Commander from Graebert. Both of these have more fully featured OSX ports than Adesk, and are DWG workalikes. Certainly worth trying out with a free trial on your Mac.