Thread: AUTOSKETCH to AUTOCAD conversion - some files will not convert !

Login to Give a bone

Default AUTOSKETCH to AUTOCAD conversion - some files will not convert !

Hello,
    I am a new member of AUGI. Could you please provide assistance and advice on an Autosketch (skf) conversion to acad (dwg) problem. For some unknown and frustrating reason some historical Autosketch files will not convert successfully to Autocad editable files. This non-conversion problem occurs on a few hundred drawings which have been created on various versions of Autosketch, however, since we use Autosketch 10 it should be safe to assume backwards compatibility for the software !
    I have attached a doc file which shows the problem.
    We currently use Autosketch 10, which we have discovered is no longer supported by Autodesk, however, I cannot believe Autodesk have basically abandoned the software without fixes or assistance for Autosketch. I understand that there maybe issues concerning the Windows platform versions used for the various versions of Autosketch – however, I am hoping there is an easier way to resolve this problem.
    Any advice, help or solutions would be greatly appreciated ?
    Thankyou for your assistance in advance !

Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AUTOSKETCH to AUTOCAD conversion - some files will not convert !

>>I cannot believe Autodesk have basically abandoned the software without fixes or assistance for Autosketch.

It's been a common practice for Adesk since the 1980's. Just ask any Generic CAD customer. Or Actrix user, or (and so on and so forth). Although any and every commercial software vendor does the same thing, so picking on Adesk may not be fair.

What else can autosketch output to? DXF maybe? PS or EPS? Can you print to PDF? Can you copy and pastespecial into Acad?

Post one of the problem .skf files here, and maybe someone can come up with a better idea.

update -- looks like they still sell Autosketch 10, Can you opent he problematic .skf files in your AS 10 and save toa new name? then close AS, and restart it, open the newly created file, and try converting that to dwg?
    Last edited by cadtag; 2014-08-27 at 02:44 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for quick response - how do i attach a problem skf file using the quick reply option ? There seems to be no prompt for additional attachments that I can see !
    I hope to find a solution which results in an editable acad file
    I have tried your suggestion to Save existing to New name & Close/Convert etc -also tried saving to DXF again without success, this seems to be a puzzle for Bletchley Parkcode breakers !
    Also, You state they still sell Autosketch 10 - does this mean they may offer assistance ?
    Last edited by ian.taylor678978; 2014-08-27 at 03:43 PM. Reason: update response

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ian.taylor678978 View Post
    Thanks for quick response - how do i attach a problem skf file using the quick reply option ? There seems to be no prompt for additional attachments that I can see !
    Hit reply, scroll down and pick "Go advanced". You will find a "Manage attachments" button.

Login to Give a bone

If some wizard could have a play around with this Autosketch file and attempt to convert it to an editable acad dwg file it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files