Thread: Best way to setup a template that includes xref'd borders?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Best way to setup a template that includes xref'd borders?

I'm trying to find a simple solution where my users can generate new files from templates that include the sheet border size they need which is externally referenced as a relative path attachment. The reason I need it to be a relative attachment is because I need the border to reside in the same folder where the sheet drawings and xref's are located (all in a single folder). I prefer not to have the xref point to a fixed location on the server but rather it point to its own project folder. I can configure almost all of what I want to do but one problem. The new file is created from this template is saved into a newly created empty folder where the border xref does not yet exist. The xref border would need to be manually copied into this folder to properly be recognized and loaded. After a reload, everything works fine from that point forward. Any new sheets generated from a template for that border size (filename) will resolve properly. I'm trying to eliminate that one last task of having my user manually copy the border from a source location into this new folder. Is there a way to somehow wblock or export the border userd into the folder I'm saving the new file? Hope this all makes sense.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best way to setup a template that includes xref'd borders?

This shouldn't be a technical problem - just a workflow one.
    Create a new folder and copy a template file and a border file into it, then start work.

Login to Give a bone

One could use LISP to assemble a SH command and run that as part of your 'project setup macro' inside Acad -- but really shouldn't the users be familiar enough with the filing system on your server to do it manually? As jaberwok said, it's a workflow issue. Hint -- if the xref border is going to be in the same folder, you can skip relative path, and just use No Path.

Login to Give a bone

... Reminds me of this thread.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    One could use LISP to assemble a SH command and run that as part of your 'project setup macro' inside Acad -- but really shouldn't the users be familiar enough with the filing system on your server to do it manually? As jaberwok said, it's a workflow issue. Hint -- if the xref border is going to be in the same folder, you can skip relative path, and just use No Path.
    About the xref path to No Path, ok will try that, thanks. Yes, the user should be familiar with the filing system. Within the past two years we've picked up many new CAD people. I'm trying to figure out a workflow with less user configuration so they can begin to work without setting up too many things, or if I came across one I liked that someone suggests, I may adopt it. I have one method where there is no template but a package of files compressed into a .zip that a user will decompress into their folder when starting a new project. I'm trying different methods to see which one works best for my users. Just kind of brainstorming and seeing what else I can do to streamline this. My idea may not be the best so if others have suggestions on what they have in place, I'd like to hear them so maybe I can implement all or some of those ideas.

Thanks!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    ... Reminds me of this thread.
    BlackBox, thanks for the link, I just had a read. Good info.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ROBinHI View Post
    BlackBox, thanks for the link, I just had a read. Good info.
    You're welcome, ROBinHI; I hope you find it useful.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000