Memory Speed 1600 MHz
    Hard Drive 1024 GB SATA
    Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GT 730A
    Graphics Card Ram Size 1024 MB
    Wireless Type 802.11abg
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports 3
    Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
    ... OS?

Your processor, RAM, and boot drive are all fine, but your graphics card seems low - I know, it's better than the Revit 2014 minimum requirement, but it also isn't certified either.

Just as an example, I use Civil 3D 2015 which requires a bare minimum of 128MB, and recommends 256-512MB video card, yet I run a certified 3GB NVIDIA Quadro and still have lag when I use Object Viewer to inspect a complex surface model. My workstation is a Dell Precision T3600, Win8.1x64 + Client Hyper-V, Hex-Core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD (OS) + 1TB 10K RPM Velociraptor (data) drives, etc.

Have you tried disconnecting one of your workstations, and connecting the second ethernet cable on the NAS (for testing, not permanent)? What about connecting directly via USB 3.0?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ready NAS + revit 2014

haven't tried that yet.
    we need to set up the NAS for the bonded connection (NIC Teaming).
    it is not currently configured for that. so i'm working with our consulting team to try and set that up.

there is no lag when it is just one person working in the file off the NAS. the problem arises when a 2nd person opens their local file.
    for this reason i am hopeful that the NIC Teaming will rectify our issues...

thanks for your help - i will post an update once we've tried that.
    thx!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    haven't tried that yet.
    we need to set up the NAS for the bonded connection (NIC Teaming).
    it is not currently configured for that. so i'm working with our consulting team to try and set that up.

there is no lag when it is just one person working in the file off the NAS. the problem arises when a 2nd person opens their local file.
    for this reason i am hopeful that the NIC Teaming will rectify our issues...
    Again, still not sure of your OS, but back when I used Win7x64, I utilized something called Offline Files to 'check out' a project... Essentially it is a local cached copy of what is on the network, and depending on your selected mode (of 4), the network copy would be removed from observable/editable data, so you'd be working locally off of your fast SSD, and then it would be replicated back to network when done.

The NIC Teaming will definitely help; the new server I just implemented here came with quad gigabit NIC, and the legacy servers we have (1 has 1 gigabit NIC, and the other has dual gigabit NIC), are both getting a dual gigabit NIC PCIe card as part of some storage upgrades I'm making so we don't need to go buy NAS appliances (why use just NAS, when you already have a server with PERC, etc., I say?).

thanks for your help - i will post an update once we've tried that.
    thx!
    You're very welcome; I'm happy to help.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

all revit users are on windows 8

thx!!

Login to Give a bone

all revit users are on windows 8
    I'd be very concerned if your 3rd party IT firm didn't suggest both, the NIC Teaming on NAS when they installed it, and that you promptly upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 (free).

*IF* that is the case, you might consider bringing IT administration in-house, by selecting an employee to send for an MTA Certification in Windows Server Administration. You'd be amazed at the issues they'll be able to bring light to regarding 3rd party IT. I've now done that here, and am working toward MCSE next.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Kristin,

I work in a small office(5 users) as well and we are looking into using a NAS device for a file server instead of a Microsoft Server. Could you tell us what NAS hard drives you are using. I just wonder if maybe they could be contributing to the slow down as well.
    Last edited by nicholas_baum; 2014-09-17 at 04:37 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_baum View Post
    Kristin,

I work in a small office(5 users) as well and we are looking into using a NAS device for a file server instead of a Microsoft Server. Could you tell us what NAS hard drives you are using. I just wonder if they maybe they could be contributing to the slow down as well.
    I too work in a small office now (came from a big international firm).

While I'm looking to upgrade our storage capacity, I decided against desktop NAS (not enough capacity for the cost), and formal Dell Storage Appliance (cost prohibitive for what we need currently). Instead, given that we just upgraded to a new server, I'm about to purchase an array of 6 x 4 TB SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drives) for each legacy server.

I understand you may not have a server, but I think you may find the drive to be of interest... Essentially, this is a hybrid mechanical drive (for capacity, 7.2K RPM), where the first 8 GB is actually SSD for cache. When placed in a RAID array (not sure how many bays are in your NAS?), you end up being able to utilize the first 8 GB SSD on each SSHD disk initially, and that data is later processed automagically to mechanical disk... At only +/- $170 each, I cannot find a better deal to-date, and it's cost effective enough I'll have several spares in the event a disk fails.

HTH

Computer Specs:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12