See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: accuracy issues

Login to Give a bone

Default accuracy issues

Hi there,

Somebody at the office is experiencing inaccuracy while drawing in 2D. Even with correct measurements and the proper snap functions, when zooming in very close lines sometimes appear to have small gaps between them. As you all know, just one of these inaccuracies can snowball a complete drawing into a complete mess: incorrect measurements, hatches not working, etc...
    This happens to her in new AND old drawings. We checked and compared snap settings, UCS, Z-coördinates, grid, drafting options, units, user preferences,etc...

She's a well experienced Autocad user, so I'm pretty sure this is not a sloppy workflow issue.

Suggestions anyone?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: accuracy issues

Quote Originally Posted by bstk View Post
    ... when zooming in very close lines sometimes appear to have small gaps between them.
    That means nothing, don't trust the display.
    What is the distance (to 8 or more decimal places) if you measure it?

If there truly are gaps and the user is using running object snaps, this could be the culprit in a busy drawing.
    Running object snaps will return a point regardless if the snap is acquired or not, as opposed to specifying the desired object snap at the moment you need it - which will fail to return a point if the snap is missed while picking.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

thanks for your input rkmcswain.
    There are actual gaps between lines that are actually measurable, inaccuracies with a 0,0001 flaw, but still not tolerable.
    We finally found out what the problem is: not the object snaps but the object tracking. For example, when moving an object with a width of 90 units from its left side to its right side, snapping itself, you expect to get the square snapping symbol for confirmation. But with otracking on, you sometimes get the cross (intersection) symbol for no reason, resulting in a movement of 90,0005 units.
    So from now on, the otracking button stays off!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just a WAG, but is this just a regen issue with curves? Screenshots would mean a few less shots in the dark.

Login to Give a bone

definitely not, dgorsman. These are real measurable flaws.
    I never use otrack myself, but even without I sometimes end up with 0,0001 inacuracies. And I consider myself to be a disciplined autocad user.