See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Attribute Order in Blocks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Attribute Order in Blocks

I am trying to figure out how to get my attributes to read in a certain way when my drawings are inserted into a drawing.

Example, I have a basic drawing for my titleblock which contains a bunch of attributes. This basic drawing is not a block, it is all linework, text and attributes.

When I insert this drawing into CAD it becomes a block (either from a Tool Pallette or from Design Center) yet the attributes read in no particular order. If I create my base drawing as a block, I have to explode it because it gets inserted into the drawing as a block inside a block.

I know the BATTMAN command works or reordering attributes in a block but is there a way to set my attributes in order before they become a block?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Attribute Order in Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to get my attributes to read in a certain way when my drawings are inserted into a drawing.

Example, I have a basic drawing for my titleblock which contains a bunch of attributes. This basic drawing is not a block, it is all linework, text and attributes.

When I insert this drawing into CAD it becomes a block (either from a Tool Pallette or from Design Center) yet the attributes read in no particular order. If I create my base drawing as a block, I have to explode it because it gets inserted into the drawing as a block inside a block.

I know the BATTMAN command works or reordering attributes in a block but is there a way to set my attributes in order before they become a block?
    Sorry, I've never heard of any way to accomplish that...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

So, the workflow might be to create/edit the block in a dwg container file and ensure that the attribute order is as desired, the either drag it in via ADC from the Block section in the container drawing, or wblock it out as a block rather than selected entities.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    So, the workflow might be to create/edit the block in a dwg container file and ensure that the attribute order is as desired, the either drag it in via ADC from the Block section in the container drawing, or wblock it out as a block rather than selected entities.
    I do something similar... I create my block in a working drawing, and once it is as desired, I WBLOCK that Block to its own drawing for insert, etc. into other project drawings.

Redoing our title block right now (to utilize SSM fields, etc.), as it happens.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

... which is why I don't depend on order of attributes in a block.

Login to Give a bone

If you have the block created with attributes within the drawing. You can do the following to edit the order of the attributes:

1. Use the Design Center ([CTRL] 2) to browse and find your title block.
    2. [Right Click] and select "Block Editor"
    3. It will open the drawing and may ask if you want to open in the block editor. Say yes.
    4. Run the BATTMAN command and you should be able to reorder the attributes as needed.

I just did this to our titleblock to make sure it works. Good Luck.

Login to Give a bone

In that workflow, the answer is to create the attributes in the correct order.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    I do something similar... I create my block in a working drawing, and once it is as desired, I WBLOCK that Block to its own drawing for insert, etc. into other project drawings.

Cheers
    But then Id have to explode the block because it would get inserted as a block and it would be a block inside of a block? That's what happens when I insert blocks, which was the reason behind making them just CAD entities so that they become a block upon being inserted.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post

Cheers
    I plan to do the same, but I need to teach everyone first what Sheet Sets are. That should be interesting.

Login to Give a bone

But then Id have to explode the block because it would get inserted as a block and it would be a block inside of a block? That's what happens when I insert blocks, which was the reason behind making them just CAD entities so that they become a block upon being inserted.
    Example - You're working in Drawing1.dwg, and you use the BLOCK Command to create and then test a new block reference "TitleBlock." Once ready, you then use the WBLOCK Command to export block reference "TitleBlock" to TitleBlock.dwg, which is what you'd insert into your other drawings.

I plan to do the same, but I need to teach everyone first what Sheet Sets are. That should be interesting.
    This method does require some prior planning, and configuration - Let us know when you get stuck.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000