Thread: Need a user generated or project specific Symbol menu in the text editor.

Wish List Administration

Default Need a user generated or project specific Symbol menu in the text editor.

Summary: Need the ability to add and remove symbols from the quick list that comes standard in AutoCAD. Or the ability to change symbol menu based on the field you are in or working in at that time.

Description: Simple symbols are used throughout a structural or architectural drawing. We need a more user friendly menu available. For instance, in the architecture field, I can't find the Center-line symbol. Why can't I create one and save it as a symbol so that its available as text while I am typing? We need this desperately. Otherwise blocks are positioned near the text instead of being attached to the text. Its frustrating when you need to adjust your text boxes when your having to move blocks. It should be attached to the text as a symbol in the symbol library we select or create for ourselves.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Text

Submitted By: Shane Izzo on 09/29/2014

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: Need a user generated or project specific Symbol menu in the text editor.

Try: http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/EN...mber=d0e276314

The Unicode string for Centerline is \U+2104

I've been using a modified version of Jimmy Bergmark's PersonalMtextSymbols.LSP for many years which helps me a lot.
    Sections I've added include:
    Code:
       (vl-registry-write key "Name 1" "%%0215 \U+00D7")
      (vl-registry-write key "Name 2" "%%0247 \U+00F7")
      (vl-registry-write key "Name 3" "%%172  \U+00BC")
      (vl-registry-write key "Name 4" "%%171  \U+00BD")
      (vl-registry-write key "Name 5" "%%0190 \U+00BE")
      (vl-registry-write key "Name 6" "%%0133 \U+2026")
      (vl-registry-write key "Contents 1" "×")
      (vl-registry-write key "Contents 2" "÷")
      (vl-registry-write key "Contents 3" "¼")
      (vl-registry-write key "Contents 4" "½")
      (vl-registry-write key "Contents 5" "¾")
      (vl-registry-write key "Contents 6" "…")
    as well as names and PE #'s for all the engineers I do drawings for. It only works from the right-click menu though, not in the In-Place Text Editor Symbol drop-down on the expanded toolbar.
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-09-30 at 12:46 PM. Reason: [HTML] Tags removed, so forum can parse link directly.

Default Re: Need a user generated or project specific Symbol menu in the text editor.

Neat tip, Tom.

I am curious though, how often are you adding engineer's certifications to your drawings? Have you considered using SSM + Fields for that specifically?

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Neat tip, Tom.

I am curious though, how often are you adding engineer's certifications to your drawings? Have you considered using SSM + Fields for that specifically?

Cheers
    Haven't used it for the engineer's certifications in years now that you mention it. I used SSM + Fields for stuff like page numbers, but since I work mostly on small projects (multiple layouts in one drawing) so I generally use the propulate command with a custom template to set up custom properties including field book, survey date, engineer and number of pages that I can easily modify in drawing properties dialog box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Haven't used it for the engineer's certifications in years now that you mention it. I used SSM + Fields for stuff like page numbers, but since I work mostly on small projects (multiple layouts in one drawing) so I generally use the propulate command with a custom template to set up custom properties including field book, survey date, engineer and number of pages that I can easily modify in drawing properties dialog box.
    One of the things I like most about SSM, is that it acts as an equalizer to some extent - meaning that it (SSM) doesn't care how many, or how few Layouts are in a given drawing - it only has access to those Layouts (sheets) which it organizes. This, one of the many reasons I use SSM to fully manage all title block values (some Sheet Set [Project], and some Sheet [sheet] level content).

In any event, keep on keeping on.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Try: http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/EN...mber=d0e276314

The Unicode string for Centerline is \U+2104
    Bearing in mind that the unicode values for the 'symbols' is going to be font dependent. Nor all fonts will have all symbols -- arial for example lacks the Centerline (Arial MS Unicode has one at that spot; ), and all of the "U+E###" characters are in the Private Use area,and will only be found in some, not all, of the Adesk supplied fonts.

AUGI Addict

Good point. In this narrow, specific case its not any different from trying to create your own symbols in Word or other word processors. It won't happen without modifying the font which has its own problems.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Bearing in mind that the unicode values for the 'symbols' is going to be font dependent. Nor all fonts will have all symbols -- arial for example lacks the Centerline (Arial MS Unicode has one at that spot; ), and all of the "U+E###" characters are in the Private Use area,and will only be found in some, not all, of the Adesk supplied fonts.
    For many fonts AutoCAD substitutes symbols from other fonts. Inserting the Centerline symbol into Arial mtext brings in the symbol from ISOCPEUR. Not as nice as I'd like, but functional. I use Swiss 721 Lt BT from Autodesk for almost everything as it supports more symbols than others. It's clear to read while using less drawing space than other fonts. I couldn't do Architectural drawings with those crazy fonts!

Additional character reference including required fonts: http://home.comcast.net/~721rr/Characters.htm

... I use Swiss 721 Lt BT from Autodesk for almost everything as it supports more symbols than others. It's clear to read while using less drawing space than other fonts.
    Something I learned from the original pre-Land Desktop 2006 setup at my last employer, was the use of ROMANS font; I like it primarily as it too is easy to read, with the added benefit of carrying line weight.

Meaning an existing text label can not only be smaller than a proposed text label, but can also be set to print thinner... I only use a 'stylized' font for logo text, etc for branding purposes, which helps to clearly distinguish what is plan information, if that makes sense.

Cheers

Computer Specs: