Thread: Decimal Feet as Linear Units

Wish List Administration

Default Decimal Feet as Linear Units

Summary: AutoCAD should support decimal feet as a linear unit. You can input lengths in decimal feet but there is no way to list lengths as decimal feet.

Description: AutoCAD should support linear feet as a unit. You can input lengths in decimal feet but there is no way to list lengths as decimal feet. AutoCAD supports surveyor's units for angular units, it should support surveyors units for linear units. Surveyors measure in decimal feet.

I understand that most surveyors that use AutoCAD just use decimal units and work in inches and not feet. That is why AutoCAD has annotative scales built in like 1:10 and 1:60. That is not the same as a of 1"=10' or 1"=60'. If you try and draw a floor plan and a site plan in the same drawing you will see what I mean.

Come on guys-how hard could it be to add this to the program?

Chuck

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Dimensions

Submitted By: chuck cantieny on 10/23/2014

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: Decimal Feet as Linear Units

Should have done this from the beginning. Always had my Structure Dimension Style Scale factor set to 12. It might be difficult now since us Civil 3D users that might use it have US foot set as the base unit already.

AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post

Come on guys-how hard could it be to add this to the program?
    One phrase I really dread hearing.

Do some "napkin math", considering how it works currently. Now try to figure out how it should do what you want. And then consider how to do it without borking up other users and existing drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: AutoCAD should support decimal feet as a linear unit. You can input lengths in decimal feet but there is no way to list lengths as decimal feet.

Description: AutoCAD should support linear feet as a unit. You can input lengths in decimal feet but there is no way to list lengths as decimal feet. AutoCAD supports surveyor's units for angular units, it should support surveyors units for linear units. Surveyors measure in decimal feet.

I understand that most surveyors that use AutoCAD just use decimal units and work in inches and not feet. ...
    You've got that backwards I think -- every surveyor and civil engineer/designer I've encountered in that past n+ decades uses decimal units as feet in CAD. Inches, on the occasions used, are converted to decimal feet.

There's never been a need in my work to have a correct, accurate, buildable floor plan in a civil sheet -- different trades and different purposes. for those situations where it may be helpful, the insert and xref command can handle the scaling automagically.