Thread: Comments on Laptop Configuration? - Gaming Rig for Revit and 3DS Max

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Comments on Laptop Configuration? - Gaming Rig for Revit and 3DS Max

Hi!
    I am an Architect and working using Revit and Max softwares doing heavy complex modeling a bit of rendering and photoshop touch up.
    I am planning to buy a gaming laptop aorus x7 v2.
    I play video games in my vacant time. Have any of you guys use gaming laptop for personal work?
    Is it really possible to have a laptop where you can work hard and playhard as well?

Please advise.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Comments on Laptop Configuration? - Gaming Rig for Revit and 3DS Max

Not the best of ideas unless you *really* need the portability of the laptop and/or have money burning a hole in your pocket. Desktops have better airflow, more available power, higher performance components, and less cost. Use the savings to pick up a tablet for the lightweight stuff.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Comments on Laptop Configuration? - Gaming Rig for Revit and 3DS Max

It's not impossible. Currently my out of the office "workstation" is a 17" Alienware with an i7 and 8gb of ram and a nividia 600 graphics card.

While "mobile workstations" are nice. Unless you are really all about taking work home with you or using a personal machine for work related activities, I would go with a desktop workstation. They have better air flow, better components, typically are cheaper, and provide a wider array of versatility in regards upgrades and visual abilities.

I would probably recommend getting something along the lines of a Dell Mobile Workstation like the 6800 series, or at least something dockable. Having the ability to use multiple displays without having your laptop open is huge. Not to mention it makes your desk a lot cleaner and its easier to pick up and go if you need to.

It comes down to money and what you are expecting the machine to do. If your expecting blazing fast renderings from 3ds max, your better off with a desktop WS. If your ok with just Revit and slower but still good single frame renderings, you should be more than fine with a laptop. There are a lot of "gaming laptop" companies out there, finding one that doesn't cost the same as a much more powerful desktop system with a Xeon processor and a K5100 or better graphics card and 32gb+ or ram is going to be hard.

Side note I was looking for a new desktop WS for a replacement for one of our drafters and we're looking at around $4k for a xeon processor at 2.8ghz, 32gb of ram, K4100 graphics card, 256gb SSD drive and DVD optical drive. However that machine will crank through CAD and Revit without breaking a sweat, and it will render good quality images at a really decent speed.

Just my thoughts.